Those With COPD Burn More Calories Apparently

Options
I had always suspected this because when I used to engage in very intense exercise, it was such a great effort for me and I would lose weight if I used the numbers mfp or my Polar HR gave me. I never bothered to research it at the time, I just knew that I had to eat an awful lot to maintain my weight when I was active.

I was diagnosed at 28 and am now 42. It has always been classed as in the mild range for me so obviously, I most certainly am not in such a state that I lose weight without trying (not that I am currently trying as I am comfortable at present)

I just wanted to know if there is anyone else here with COPD and their experiences with weight loss/exercise.

https://lunginstitute.com/blog/weight-loss-and-copd/

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I have been asthmatic since childhood. My doctor told my mother that asthmatics have a higher need for calories (I was a skinny child ) but I've always assumed it's a myth. I do struggle to gain weight but don't know how much of that is down to asthma (which is different anyway to copd) Sorry,the above link didn't work for me so couldn't read the article
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Ps ,like you I do find I have to eat way more than mfp says. At the calorie goal it sets for me to gain 1lb a week,I lose weight!