Anyone fifty-somethings taking up running?

Options
Dcorrick
Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
Nothing against 20-year-old marathoners in training, but I'm in my fifties, and could use a few supporters whose times, aspirations, aches and pains are a little more like mine. 56 year old professional. 1000+ days on MFP, and using MapMyRun to get my times and distances up. Today was a breakthrough; 30 minutes and almost 3 miles without stopping! I'm mostly okay with my weight after 3 years of work; I'm mostly working on maintenance and improved fitness, endurance. So if you're in kinda the same boat as me, give me a shout!

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm only 43, but when I graduated C25K earlier this month, I got to 2.4 miles in 30 minutes. The full 5k takes me 40+ minutes at training pace.

I wouldn't mind losing some more weight (primarily in hopes that my blood pressure will improve with weight loss, since it hasn't improved with diet and/or exercise), but my diary goal is set for maintenance, and I eat a lot. You're welcome to add me if you like.

Also, come over to the running challenge thread! People there are really nice, and they will cheer for 25-miles-per-month goals as much as 250-miles-per-month. The August one should be up in the Challenges forum in the next day or two.