1 gallon of water a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the obsession with drinking ridiculous amounts of water. Even if there's no adverse effects, why make any more trips to the bathroom than needed.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I drink between 1 and 2 daily. I feel better in general.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    You can tell by the color of your urine. If it's a dark, cloudy color, you need more water. If it's slightly yellow and clear to see through, you are ok. Don't forget vitamins can make it very bright yellow.
    Here is a chart : https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2017/06/30/check-urine-color-tell-youre-dehydrated/

This. If it's completely clear you probably should back off drinking water for the rest of the day, or at least a few hours depending on what you are doing (IE: If you're outside in the heat, and have not been drinking alcohol or something highly caffeinated then you may be drinking too much water). I drink close to a gallon a day on days I work out (for up to 2 hours intensely). I also eat a lot of sodium and take plenty of vitamins and drink other electrolytes. On days I don't work out I drink far less because I'm not losing hydration as fast.
  • Katherinelittle24
    Katherinelittle24 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A gallon of water a day seems pretty excessive to me, unless of course you work out a lot and then it might be completely necessary in your case. But I have always heard that just drinking 8 glasses of water a day should be enough. Although, I really have to get used to just drinking even two cups of water a day...I am terrible when it comes to my water intake.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Unless you live in the desert, you probably do not need a gallon of water per day.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I've never understood the obsession with drinking ridiculous amounts of water. Even if there's no adverse effects, why make any more trips to the bathroom than needed.

This. My 4 large cups of coffee a day already sends me there enough :p
  • flemmingss
    flemmingss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You can tell by the color of your urine. If it's a dark, cloudy color, you need more water. If it's slightly yellow and clear to see through, you are ok. Don't forget vitamins can make it very bright yellow.
    Here is a chart : https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2017/06/30/check-urine-color-tell-youre-dehydrated/
    But if it's clear you are drinking to mutch