"Weight Reduction Through Diet" a 1950's film, fascinating

Options
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fxji5xkXOA

I've become addicted to watching all of these short films uploaded to youtube from the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's recently. This one in particular is fascinating.

It seems like the government's been promoting this information (calories, macros, a healthy balanced diet, weighing foods, tracking your intake, etc.) for 70 years or more!

i wonder when there's such an abundance of information out there that we, as a society, haven't adopted this as common-knowledge. Anyways, figured you guys might actually enjoy!

Replies

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this!

As the saying goes: "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    This especially tickles me, as I'm sitting here about half a mile down the road from what was then "Michigan State College". (I recognize the buildings!) Thanks for sharing!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

i wonder when there's such an abundance of information out there that we, as a society, haven't adopted this as common-knowledge. Anyways, figured you guys might actually enjoy!

In what way have we not? Isn't it the basis of just about every reputable diet plan ever? Now, having the knowledge and putting it into practice daily are two different things and that we haven't done.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

In what way have we not? Isn't it the basis of just about every reputable diet plan ever? Now, having the knowledge and putting it into practice daily are two different things and that we haven't done.

I mean, if you ask the average person what a calorie is. Or what our food is made of. Or how fat loss works. Or how energy balance works. Or to track their intake. Or literally any of the other information in this video I feel like they'll have no idea what you're talking about.