Lentils for one

Options
WanderingRivers
WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
Is it possible to cook just enough lentils for one person? I don't want to have to make a whole mess of them if I don't have to since I'm only wanting to make enough to mix with a serving of brown rice for lunch for myself. Sorry if it's a dumb question. I'm a bit of a cooking dunce.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Probably. If you find a recipe that's 4 servings worth, you should use 1/4 of the ingredients, etc. Could be an issue if the recipe contains eggs, I guess, or something else hard to divide, but otherwise?

(Cooking time shouldn't be a factor, but I wonder whether the water would evaporate a bit faster. Google can probably help with that.)
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    Probably. If you find a recipe that's 4 servings worth, you should use 1/4 of the ingredients, etc. Could be an issue if the recipe contains eggs, I guess, or something else hard to divide, but otherwise?

(Cooking time shouldn't be a factor, but I wonder whether the water would evaporate a bit faster. Google can probably help with that.)

I have employed Google-Fu but everything I can find seems based on making this huge arsed batch of lentils and I'm over here like "omg, if I make that many, they'll all go bad before I eat them all." I'm just super tempted to just say bugger it and skip lunch since I'm not wanting to have the hassle of making more then I can eat.
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    http://www.cooksinfo.com/lentils

Looks like you need 2-3 oz dried for one cup cooked
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Could you make more serves, but portion them out and freeze them? Next time you want a serve they'll be ready for you!
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely make extra and freeze in meal sized portions
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    Could you make more serves, but portion them out and freeze them? Next time you want a serve they'll be ready for you!

I've never cooked lentils before which is why I wanted to start small with just making a portion for me for lunch. If I mess up a huge batch that's a ton of food waste that I can't justify. I'd rather only mess up a wee bit then a huge amt.
  • estherdragonbat
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Tip then: red lentils are likely to turn to mush/puree when over-cooked. Brown and green hold their shape better. It comes down to the texture/consistency you want. And they're pretty bland overall, so a bit of seasoning won't go amiss.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    During the winter I have made lentils by preheating my thermos with boiling water then adding lentils and boiling water and letting them sit on the thermos till lunch.
    I also do this with rice, farro, bulger, ect
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just buy a can of them and then freeze whatever's left over.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Make the huge batch and freeze some for later meals.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The ratio for lentils is 3 cups liquid to 1 cup lentils. So, for a single portion, maybe try 1 cup liquid to a 1/3 cup lentils. I'd do them in a Sistema soup cup in the microwave. If it's too much or not enough you can adjust the next time.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    The ratio for lentils is 3 cups liquid to 1 cup lentils. So, for a single portion, maybe try 1 cup liquid to a 1/3 cup lentils. I'd do them in a Sistema soup cup in the microwave. If it's too much or not enough you can adjust the next time.

Thank you. I don't have a Sistema soup cup so would a wee pot on the stove work?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I put the lentils in the brown rice and cook them together using Alton Brown's oven method for brown rice. I like to use French (DuPuy, green) lentils because they hold their shape.

Cooking rice, especially rice in the oven is relatively fool proof and lazy. No watching a pot to make sure it doesn't boil over or scorch. Just throw it in the oven, set the timer, and ignore it.

To find recipes that use this method just search "oven rice." The Alton Brown recipe is here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe-1944197

Come to think of it, maybe we need rice & lentils for supper. Thanx for the inspiration!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yes, by the laws of math and physics it should be possible to cook lentils to provide one serving.

However, in practice, the following will always tend to feed a small invading army no matter how you try:

lentils
    couscous
    lasagna
    stew
    pasta (variety does not matter)
    :p

As far as I am concerned, the only sensible way to deal with this matter is to invest in some disposable containers, and use these to create nice lunch-sized portions to bring to work or eat at home for the next week.

Also, every recipe asking for an onion asks for .5 of an onion. EVERY ONE. No word on why farmers don't simply make smaller onions...

• RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, so somebody may have suggested these things.

I love lentils. I'm a widow and make them just for myself.

I cook an entire bag in a large soup pot (please keep reading even though you said you don't want to do this).

Bring to a boil, then simmer on low with a lid until they are soft. THEN turn the heat off and let them sit in the hot water for an hour or so more until they are very soft. People lack an enzyme to digest the shell of beans and legumes, which is why they can cause gas/upset your stomach -- but you can get around this if you cook until very soft.

Then I drain and stir fry them with vegetables in a little olive oil and spice.

I keep some out to eat and freeze the rest in individual containers/plastic sandwich bags. All I have to do is thaw and eat them.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Thank you. I don't have a Sistema soup cup so would a wee pot on the stove work?

Yes, should be fine, but I don't know the cost time. I've also cooked them in a rice cooker. I recommend looking into the soup cup, though. It's really handy.
  • GonzosaysMeow
    GonzosaysMeow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lentils are super easy to cook, just follow a recipe online. If you over cook them, they're like re-fried beans -- sort of.

Meal prep will change your life, so I suggest making a large amount and save it. Enjoy the cost/time savings ad infinitem. It is freeing.

I don't recommend cooking them in the oven, however; because it SO INEFFICIENT, especially in the summer.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Yes, by the laws of math and physics it should be possible to cook lentils to provide one serving.

However, in practice, the following will always tend to feed a small invading army no matter how you try:

lentils
    couscous
    lasagna
    stew
    pasta (variety does not matter)
    :p

As far as I am concerned, the only sensible way to deal with this matter is to invest in some disposable containers, and use these to create nice lunch-sized portions to bring to work or eat at home for the next week.

Also, every recipe asking for an onion asks for .5 of an onion. EVERY ONE. No word on why farmers don't simply make smaller onions...
    I have pondered buying shallots for exactly this reason. I would love it if someone could do the culinary experimentation for me, and let me know how it works out.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/shallots
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    Lentils are super easy to cook, just follow a recipe online. If you over cook them, they're like re-fried beans -- sort of.

Meal prep will change your life, so I suggest making a large amount and save it. Enjoy the cost/time savings ad infinitem. It is freeing.

I don't recommend cooking them in the oven, however; because it SO INEFFICIENT, especially in the summer.

I'm just not a huge fan of food waste so I don't want to ruin a big batch. I'd only rather potentially ruin a small one person amount and waste far less money that way.