Pcos and shakeology

2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited July 2017
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Just eat real,whole foods. Eat fruits, veggies, whole grains, and stay away from frozen, processed, or fast food meals. That's all you need to lose weight and get your body back in check.
    I used to have very irregular periods and have a lot of similarities to PCOS however I was never diagnosed. Losing weight and eating right "cured" most of those issues.

Btw, shakeology would be considered a processed food. There is no health benefit and no one has lasting results from those awful, expensive MLM items.

So much wrong with that one sentence. To lose weight all you need is calorie deficit. Granted whole foods may keep you full longer, it is not required to lose weight.

Losing weight will not cure PCOS. It is a hormone imbalance that many women need to take medication for. Advising someone that losing weight is all they need can be harmful since people can interpret it as they no longer need their medication.

No reason to stay away from processed foods.

If you are fighting hormone imbalance, you absolutely must eat nutritionally sound foods. Have you ever read any studies on hormone issues and processed foods? Have you ever suffered from it and then seen the benefit of eating whole? I seriously can't believe you just said "no reason to stay away from processed foods". What kind of advice is that when someone has a health issue?

Also I agree I should have been more specific, that sentence that you put in bold was erroneous; I was more zoned in on the hormone issues. Obviously you need a calorie deficit.

I have pcos and still dont agree with you im with @elphie754 on this one...specifically the "frozen, processed or fast food" If it exists in a store its likely highly processed, even fruits and veg. Nothing at all wrong with fast food. And frozen veggies for example are often times more nutritious thn the fresh ones. Giving useless umbrella advice to the OP to needlessly complicate things is just unnecessary.

Even if i werent to be so technical, I have PCOS and lost 105 pounds in 14 months and i ate all of these things. Plus chocolate. and desserts. and all of the pizza. Yummy.

CICO is king

In what world are fresh fruits and veggies processed? Seriously? You must be trolling, right?

Do you eat frozen fruit or vegetables? Canned anything? Condiments? Bread? Or do you grind your own wheat to make flour?

Or do you make everything from scratch?

She's not trolling, I really liked her reply. I awesomed it.

I didn't feel the need to define processed. I am talking about boxed meals, frozen entree meals, and anything that comes from a restaurant with a car window or a gas station. Not frozen veggies, people. Come on!

Here on MFP a different definition of "processed" is used than what everyone I know offsite uses. But since technically frozen vegetables ARE processed, here on MFP I use "Ultra Processed" and link to the Brazilian definition, which breaks out "processed" into:

1. Natural/minimally processed
    2. Processed
    3. Ultra processed
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Just eat real,whole foods. Eat fruits, veggies, whole grains, and stay away from frozen, processed, or fast food meals. That's all you need to lose weight and get your body back in check.
    I used to have very irregular periods and have a lot of similarities to PCOS however I was never diagnosed. Losing weight and eating right "cured" most of those issues.

Btw, shakeology would be considered a processed food. There is no health benefit and no one has lasting results from those awful, expensive MLM items.

So much wrong with that one sentence. To lose weight all you need is calorie deficit. Granted whole foods may keep you full longer, it is not required to lose weight.

Losing weight will not cure PCOS. It is a hormone imbalance that many women need to take medication for. Advising someone that losing weight is all they need can be harmful since people can interpret it as they no longer need their medication.

No reason to stay away from processed foods.

If you are fighting hormone imbalance, you absolutely must eat nutritionally sound foods. Have you ever read any studies on hormone issues and processed foods? Have you ever suffered from it and then seen the benefit of eating whole? I seriously can't believe you just said "no reason to stay away from processed foods". What kind of advice is that when someone has a health issue?

Also I agree I should have been more specific, that sentence that you put in bold was erroneous; I was more zoned in on the hormone issues. Obviously you need a calorie deficit.

I have pcos and still dont agree with you im with @elphie754 on this one...specifically the "frozen, processed or fast food" If it exists in a store its likely highly processed, even fruits and veg. Nothing at all wrong with fast food. And frozen veggies for example are often times more nutritious thn the fresh ones. Giving useless umbrella advice to the OP to needlessly complicate things is just unnecessary.

Even if i werent to be so technical, I have PCOS and lost 105 pounds in 14 months and i ate all of these things. Plus chocolate. and desserts. and all of the pizza. Yummy.

CICO is king

In what world are fresh fruits and veggies processed? Seriously? You must be trolling, right?

Do you eat frozen fruit or vegetables? Canned anything? Condiments? Bread? Or do you grind your own wheat to make flour?

Or do you make everything from scratch?

She's not trolling, I really liked her reply. I awesomed it.

I didn't feel the need to define processed. I am talking about boxed meals, frozen entree meals, and anything that comes from a restaurant with a car window or a gas station. Not frozen veggies, people. Come on!

But you should. I love Krafts Mac n Cheese or frozen plain cheese pizza, add some vegetables with chicken and, boom, it is a satisfying meal. Pasta is "ultra processed" and add some fish with vegetables, boom, another wholesome meal. There is absolutely nothing wrong pizza, your stomach does not care. Pizza hits all the macros