Going to New York in 2 weeks - tips for not overdoing it.

gla88
gla88 Posts: 7 Member
We are going to NY for 10 days holiday in a couple of weeks and will have doing Keto for almost 4 weeks by then. I want to enjoy my food out there but have already seen how low carbs/no wheat/dairy has improved the bloating and discomfort in my stomach so don't want to fall back into old habits. I intend to go back onto the full diet plan when I get home to get to my target weight.
I know there will be a huge choice of restaurants and places to eat, I love most food, but not keen on seafood but do like a nice dessert. I'm not a big drinker, so alcohol isn't an issue. Just wanted to know what others do while on holiday in big cities. We are staying in a hotel so no facilities to make anything ourselves.
Thanks

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Walk everywhere ... And also eat all the food. I'd highly recommend Levain cookies.

• MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Walk, walk, walk! Wear really comfortable shoes and just walk everywhere, try not to take a cab or the subway unless you're going really far. (BTW, make sure you walk the High Line, it's lovely.) You should be able to find decent food choices whatever neighborhood you're in... although midtown, especially the area surrounding Times Square, has a higher concentration of junky chain restaurants. Happy to give some restaurant recommendations, I worked in NY until recently and can give you some delicious options depending on where you'll be. (And I also agree with @livingleanlivingclean -- EAT. Enjoy your vacay!!!!!)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Stay away from overpriced Times Square.
  • gla88
    gla88 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you, We will be walking a lot, we have our teenage son with us who doesn't cope well with heat, which may prevent us walking as much as we'd like but will enjoy the trip regardless. Great to know when I come back I can jump straight back in and carry on with this way of eating.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Walk everywhere ... And also eat all the food. I'd highly recommend Levain cookies.

Yep! Easy to do in NYC, so congested that walking is faster than a car.
    You also are required to go to Sal & Carmine's for a slice!!! Seriously, you have to.
  • lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 221 Member
    edited August 2017
    When I went to Las Vegas I brought with me pre-portioned snacks that I put into baggies so I could easily take with me each morning. I was doing a low carb diet so I brought nuts, pepperoni sticks, beef jerky. I recommend packing portions for your travelling companions too because in my experience they will eat them. Otherwise, I wouldn't get too hung up on your diet while on vacation. Enjoy that slice of pizza and the restaurants. Make healthy choices when you can and as others said walk as much as possible. Hope you have an amazing trip!
  • Mojame9
    Mojame9 Posts: 32 Member

Only eat in overpriced Times Square. Watching your wallet/purse will mean eating less!
  • Mojame9
    Mojame9 Posts: 32 Member
    When I went to Las Vegas I brought with me pre-portioned snacks that I put into baggies so I could easily take with me each morning. I was doing a low carb diet so I brought nuts, pepperoni sticks, beef jerky. I recommend packing portions for your travelling companions too because in my experience they will eat them. Otherwise, I wouldn't get too hung up on your diet while on vacation. Enjoy that slice of pizza and the restaurants. Make healthy choices when you can and as others said walk as much as possible. Hope you have an amazing trip!

Really useful advice!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Mojame9 wrote: »

Only eat in overpriced Times Square. Watching your wallet/purse will mean eating less!

What? :huh:
  • aguy0980
    aguy0980 Posts: 544 Member
    Walking!!!! Almost everyone walks in NYC. Pack snacks, like almonds to keep your cravings down. Pack water to stay hydrated. Allow yourself cheat meal...not whole cheat days. But you have to have pizza....and make sure you fold the slice, hold it sideways and then bite!!!!! No forks and knives ever, you'll stand out :);)