PCOS and Weightloss Struggle

Options
Efemme
Efemme Posts: 5 Member
Hi All,

My name is Eliza and I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago. In the last 2 years I have gained about 60 lbs (I'm 255 lbs now) and have been so burned out with work/law school/life that I haven't lost significant weight. I am the heaviest I have ever been and know exactly what I need to do but lack the discipline and motivation to do it. I'll portion my food and work out and hardly lose any weight because of PCOS. I get easily discouraged and go back to square one.

7 years ago I used to enjoy walking/running 5 miles about 4x/week, yoga 3x/week, and hiked a lot. At that time I was in unhealthy relationships but in great shape. Now I am in a very healthy relationship but in awful shape. I can hardly go up a flight of stairs without losing my breath.

I read all of these amazing weight loss stories and get motivated but am unable to sustain the discipline necessary for a lifestyle change.

How do I lose weight and sustain the lifestyle? How do you continue to find the motivation in the face of a condition that has your body working against you?

Would love to hear any tips or anyone who can relate. :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to eat less and do it for a long time. It's that simple. PCOS may mean that you have to eat less to maintain and less to lose, but you'll still lose if you eat less. An old diet with a new label is not a lifestyle change. A lifestyle change is a change you choose, and a lifestyle you choose freely, feels good, and is quite easy to get into and very easy to stick to. Willpower is a limited resource and motivation a fleeting friend. Determination, realistic expectations and patience is what you need. So instead of relying on willpower and motivation, set yourself up for success.

Set a reasonable calorie goal based in your stats. 1% of your total body weight is a good weekly goal. You will have to adjust your calorie goal (and rate of loss) as you lose, to match your new, lower weight.
    Use your food diary correctly, use correct entries, weigh everything, use the recipe builder, log the exact amount you eat, and log everything. Hit your calorie goal every day.
    Eat whatever food you want, as long as you hit your calorie goal. You have to make priorities in order to get sufficient nutrition and enjoyment.
    Weigh yourself regularly, I recommend daily, and watch the trend.
    Exercise moderately. If you don't want to do any planned exercise, use daily chores to get moving.
    Get enough sleep and rest, and tend to your spiritual and emotional needs.
  • Efemme
    Options
    Thank you for your response, it's very helpful! You're absolutely right! My dr told me to stop counting my calories because it's not sustainable but I think it gives me structure and perspective so I am going to start tracking calories again. I struggle with exercise now because of my weight and I'm looking for an exercise that I actually enjoy so I can continue to do it. Thanks again :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since exercise is not about weight loss (except perhaps allowing you to eat more - which may help you adhere) - for sure pick something you enjoy, and is sustainable.

Something that knocks you out for 1-2 days is no good, and if pain and wanting to eat more is no good.

Walking fast may be it for now.

Counting calories may not be sustainable (many will argue that though) - but you can learn during a long counting process what amounts are appropriate and about how many calories.

That can work during maintenance - not during weight loss.

Since your body is already under stress from disease - 1 lb weekly is probably appropriate amount of weight loss.

Now walking may be enjoyable - but if you can do resistance training - that'll transform your body even more as fat is lost.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a food scale, go buy one. They are next to the measuring cups at many superstores. Exercise to feel good. Losing weight is 90% about food.
  • aka1030
    aka1030 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If the regular gym stuff isn't something you like, try dance, kickboxing and other activities that help you be active and relieve stress. While I was in law school I just danced in my room to a concert video online or just music while cleaning etc. for a couple hours and went from a size 18 to 12 in about 6+ months - I wasn't using a scale (didn't have one and didn't want to know the numbers). I didn't track anything (no apps and just didn't have the knowledge) but ate in a deficit and smaller portions and it worked. I did gain weight back when I stopped those things and when I found MFP I started a similar routine and lost weight. I think taking your mind off the numbers, data, tracking and all can help sometimes because you're not stressed over them. Some tracking is good so you have an idea of what your body needs and what a certain food offers in nutrition, but some people become a little obsessive. You have to carve out the time for yourself, however that will work in your schedule, but make yourself a priority :) if your reading cases/studying, try reading on a treadmill? Plan meals so you buy groceries according to what you will eat. For PCOS my periods were off track and metformin didn't help me. I got myself on 30 day cycles (which I've never had!) by drinking spearmint tea daily, taking vitamins: Co-Q10, B12, D3, Biotin, fish oil and a multivitamin (I confess, some of these are gummies because too many pills make me gag and cry..!). I definitely think weight loss and managing insulin resistance is important for PCOS, but other remedies may help you as well as it did for me.
  • Lechacon2016
    Lechacon2016 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ❤️Please add me! I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18, I had a little girl at 20, and I lost a baby at 22. I'm struggling with infertility and I'm exercising every day and dieting. I am nee to fitness in general and seeking good role models and ideas for exercise and food! We are doing Whole Foods plant based. ❤️
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    there's a PCOS group here that i think is pretty active. a lot of people have had success there and may be able to give you more specific advice or tips. i know that sometimes there is a correlation between PCOS and IR but not everyone does low carb. check it out if you get a chance.

PCOS does make weight loss more difficult, but not impossible. i think your outlook will determine your success. i'm a really slow loser for other reasons but what has helped me is to make the weight loss as easy and stress free as possible. i stick to a moderate deficit, track EVERY DAY, do exercise that i like (for me that's weight lifting and hooping), and i don't beat myself up if i go over or backslide a bit. what takes some people 6 months will likely take me 2 years. those 2 years are going to pass either way so i do what i can to balance weight loss strategies with strategies for enjoying my life.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I also have pcos diagnoses in 2011 - started using mfp in aug 2016 down a total of 91 lbs counting calories using a food scale and working out
  • Nicolllaaaaa
    Nicolllaaaaa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed last March and fell pregnant in may after trying and struggling for 8 years. I'm 30kg more than I want to be so will be giving keto a try. As soon as I get my head around munching 167g of protein every day :# plus side is the first few weeks the weight drops off quite quickly which for me is a fab motivation to keep going, even if I'll stink of bacon

I'm not on any prescribed meds but looking into inositol, choline etc
    What do you take to manage it?
    At my smallest/happiest with myself i was 18, out dancing every weekend busy at work, harder to do now with 2 kids and living with a feeder :smile:

Best of luck to you X
  • Efemme
    Options
    Thank you ladies for sharing and all of your support and tips! It feels great to know that others can relate.
  • Efemme
    Options
    Hi All! For some reason there's no option to add friends from the forum page. Let's be friends on here, please help me figure it out
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    if on computer browser - you click on the name, click on the name - Add friend request.
    Not sure on app.