Recovery question

Options
ghudson92
ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
Hello all, I have a question regarding recovery from exercise. I am just getting back in to exercising regularly and aim for 3 - 4 times a week whereas before it was once or twice. I do a mixture of cardio and resistance training.

Last friday I went to a spin class which I loved and was able to keep up, however my legs are only just starting to feel normal now three days later, they really were sore over the weekend! I had to bum shuffle down the stairs! I made sure to stretch and do a cool down walk after the session. Is it normal for recovery to take so long? I don't want to injure myself. Did I do something wrong?

Replies

• Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I reckon that's probably normal if you haven't done anything for ages. You'll get used to it again soon enough. Usually with weights it's a second day burn (2 days after the actual exercise) so you were just blessed with an extra day :D
  • ghudson92
    Options
    hollysin81 wrote: »
    I reckon that's probably normal if you haven't done anything for ages. You'll get used to it again soon enough. Usually with weights it's a second day burn (2 days after the actual exercise) so you were just blessed with an extra day :D

Thanks for the reassurance! It has been a good 7 years since I last went on a bike so I'm guessing I shouldn't be surprised. Just worried about injury as I know I will fall off the wagon if I have to rest for too long :p
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a regular spinner, going two to three times a week for the past couple of years as well as regularly riding my bike outdoors. After I my first spinning class I literally thought I was gonna die! Actually half-way through the class I wasn't sure I'd live to see the end of the hour. I dragged myself off the bike, gasping for air and wishing the plague at the very least on whoever invented the damned thing in the first place. However, a few days later I got back on and now, I must say, I am addicted!!
    Just take things at your own pace, don't look to see how hard the others are pedaling, if the instructor says to increase the resistance and you are already at your max - DON'T!! Your training is your training and don't try to measure yourself against anyone else - you don't know their history, you only know yours. Don't go pushing too hard at first cos you'll knacker your knees up - as I am sure the medical term is. At the start you need to concentrate on good form: by all means work up a sweat, but focus on keeping your upper body as still as possible, keep your legs as parallel as possible, don't grab the handlebars too hard (my favourite mistake) and keep your shoulders relaxed. Oh and make sure you don't run out of fluids.
    If you decide this is the sport for you, then I'd recommend investing in a good pair of cycling shorts if you haven't already, and at some point cleats for clicking into the pedals. If you have a good instructor, they will gladly advise you about such matters.
    Hope you learn to love it as much as I do - I have spinning this evening and it is the highlight of my day!
    Good luck,
    Jayne
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    After starting actual exercising (I never used to be a sports person too much), I had the same thing. Interestingly soon enough it was the other way round. Now (only 6 weeks later) I am already like "Why am I not even slightly sore?! What did I do wrong?" although I am continuously increasing my exercise intensity.
    I'd say it's perfectly normal and it will definitely change.
  • ghudson92
    Options
    jouttie wrote: »
    Hi,

Just take things at your own pace, don't look to see how hard the others are pedaling, if the instructor says to increase the resistance and you are already at your max - DON'T!! Your training is your training and don't try to measure yourself against anyone else - you don't know their history, you only know yours. Don't go pushing too hard at first cos you'll knacker your knees up - as I am sure the medical term is. At the start you need to concentrate on good form: by all means work up a sweat, but focus on keeping your upper body as still as possible, keep your legs as parallel as possible, don't grab the handlebars too hard (my favourite mistake) and keep your shoulders relaxed.

Thanks for these spinning tips! I can relate to your feelings on the first try :p I spoke with the instructor and he went through these things that you have mentioned with me, though on reflection I think I did go too fast. I am going again this friday so hopefully I will keep getting stronger :smiley: just got to be sensible and not race!
  • ghudson92
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    After starting actual exercising (I never used to be a sports person too much), I had the same thing. Interestingly soon enough it was the other way round. Now (only 6 weeks later) I am already like "Why am I not even slightly sore?! What did I do wrong?" although I am continuously increasing my exercise intensity.
    I'd say it's perfectly normal and it will definitely change.

Thanks for your response, glad to know I am not the only one who questions themselves ;)
  • jouttie
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good instructor, which is three-quarters of the battle. Don't be afraid to ask him anything you are unsure about, even time and time again. Yeah, be sensible, look in the mirror to see what YOU are doing and nobody else. Truly hope you learn to love it!!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    A condition called rhabdomyolysis, occurring after an intense spin class, has been in the news lately. Google if you're interested. I doubt that I've had that but I do think I had exercise induced lactic acidosis after cycling with a group, trying desperately to keep up.

I like a little DOMS after exercise. It makes me feel as though I'm making progress. But intense pain is no bueno.
  • jouttie
    Options
    You'd know about it if you had rhabdomyolysis - or rather you probably wouldn't cos the chances are you wouldn't be here to tell the tale :o
    It is extremely rare; you are more likely to get knocked off your bike going to the spin class so that it isn't worth worrying about.
    Keep on spinning!
  • ghudson92
    Options
    A condition called rhabdomyolysis, occurring after an intense spin class, has been in the news lately. Google if you're interested. I doubt that I've had that but I do think I had exercise induced lactic acidosis after cycling with a group, trying desperately to keep up.

I like a little DOMS after exercise. It makes me feel as though I'm making progress. But intense pain is no bueno.

I don't think that's what I was experiencing as it wasn't intense pain, I still was able to do everything I wanted to do over the weekend including a lot of walking and going on a bouncy castle. And my legs are fine today so just a case of overdoing it :smile: thanks for sharing the article though!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    If I understand correctly, the condition occurs when enough of your muscle breaks down that it overwhelms your kidneys. That's an obvious extreme. But I'd expect that there is a spectrum.

Just want to mention that for both conditions, hydrating is part of the prevention/solution, as is rest afterwards.
  • bray149
    bray149 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to be a slower recovery when you haven't been active for a while. Also if you're trying to lose weight recovery is a little rougher during cutting. Muscles need energy and nutrients to be repaired so don't have too big of a deficit while exercising.
  • ghudson92
    Options
    If I understand correctly, the condition occurs when enough of your muscle breaks down that it overwhelms your kidneys. That's an obvious extreme. But I'd expect that there is a spectrum.

Just want to mention that for both conditions, hydrating is part of the prevention/solution, as is rest afterwards.

Ok, thanks for the insight on this condition. I'm fairly confident that I am not suffering from this though. There are a myriad of symptoms besides soreness that I simply have not had, ie nausea, dizziness, confusion, changes in urine, bruising etc... I do think I just went a bit too fast too soon. Thanks for the information and the concern.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    jouttie wrote: »
    You'd know about it if you had rhabdomyolysis - or rather you probably wouldn't cos the chances are you wouldn't be here to tell the tale :o
    It is extremely rare; you are more likely to get knocked off your bike going to the spin class so that it isn't worth worrying about.
    Keep on spinning!

Correct - extremely rare
  • charlottia28
    charlottia28 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Now that u r getting back into things ur body just needs to re adjust itself to exercising. After a week u will notice u r not sore anymore☺️
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just overdid it which is not at all unusual, we become victims of our own enthusiasm. I'd suggest dialing it back a bit for the next few sessions, your workouts should leave you wanting more!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It happens. I couldn't sit down for a week after jumping into a hardcore lower body routine after years of inactivity! The good news is that it generally only happens that bad once.