Too Much Protein?

Options
Hi,

I'm a 24 year old female who weighs 100lb and is 5 foot 4. I job 2 miles and walk 3 miles a day, but am looking to gain back 15 pounds. I'm increasing my caloric intake to 2,400 (possibly more). Is 200 grams of protein too much for someone like myself? I've been consuming around 180 grams a day during this year and still managed to lose 10lb within 5 months (which I didn't want to do).

I'm just wondering if it will be safe, since I need to bulk up, anyway. I need to stay on the low side of total fat, preferably under 56 grams a day, because of past stomach issues.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's not too much but it isn't really necessary.

Weight loss and gain is all about your overall calories. If you're losing weight you aren't in a calorie surplus.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    What is too much for you depends a lot on you personally (genetics, metabolism and so on).
    I tried to increase my protein and decrease carbs/fat and ended up constipated, so I had to level it out for a while, now I am fine. I do not reach my protein goals usually if I do it is not that good for my digestion so I will adapt them soon (when I figured out if I will go up with fat or carbs instead).

Also, you are doing mostly cardio. This will not really push your body to build a lot of muscle, so it is just using the protein for energy. That's fine, but it you seem to be keeping your body in a state where it is trying to neither retain fat or build muscle (there is enough energy in/out to lose, but not enough muscle stress to build more muscle).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Is it more than you need? Probably, but it won't do you any harm (pending you don't have kidney issues). Most studies don't show a benefit above 1g per lb. But there is nothing wrong with consuming more than what a study would show.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Definitely more than necessary. Increasing protein intake won't magically make you gain more weight. Weight gain/loss is CICO.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I would be looking more into increasing overall calories and since total fat is an issue focus on the healthy fats and boost your carb intake. I wouldn't bother increasing the protein any more than what you're already doing, it won't benefit your goal at all.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    personally, I think its unnecessarily high - I'm slightly shorter than you 5'3" and weight about 40lbs more and I do 140g a day which is 1.3g/lb of LMM; if you are 100lbs then you are doing 2+g/lb of LMM
  • journeyrock92
    journeyrock92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the Insight, guys.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It's a misconception that if you want to gain weight you need a lot of protein. It isn't true. Protein is important, but in terms of gaining weight it is more important to have a calorie surplus, then after that, to make sure you get the right amount of protein for your goals. For you 200 g is too much.

I consider a decent "rule of thumb" that when trying to lose weight 1g/lb bodyweight is a nice amount. This means you are getting much more protein than you actually need, but the reason is due to the assistance protein can provide due to satiety. I don't see much benefit to going above this amount.

When trying to gain weight less protein is necessary because the satiety effect is not necessary and can be detrimental. You shouldn't need much protein at all, I think many people would be very comfortable with 0.6-0.8 g/lb (or less) while trying to gain weight. Our bodies just don't need very much to maintain and grow muscle.

Obviously something else has to fill in the gap in your calories if there isn't protein there. Generally, if you are doing plenty of exercise like lifting or cardio or both, then the gap is filled mostly with carbs. Make sure you get at least the minimum of fat you need for your body and fill in the rest of your macros however you like.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    200 grams is ridiculously excessive...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Well, since you have to keep fat low youve got to fill in those calories somewhere. Is it necessary? no. is it harmful? nope.
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    200grams is a little unnecessary. Just for reference I'm 6'2 180lbs and you take in 20 grams more protein than I do. However if you enjoy eating foods that are high in protein while meeting your calorie requirements then more power to you, but most people including myself would rather lower that protein number in order to increase carbohydrates.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Based on a 2400 cal diet, 200g of protein = 800 cals or just 33% of the OP's diet. This is NOT too much protein.

It is higher than the standard protein intake recommendation of 0.8-1.2g/# of BW but that recommendation is only in the context of one's GENERAL health and fitness needs and does not take into account an individuals specific physiology or their specific nutritional or physical goals.

While the OP's planned protein intake is twice this recommendation, she is intentionally increasing her daily cal intake in order to gain 15#.

The OP does not say what her maintenance calorie level is but assuming this is at or around 1900 cals/day, the extra 500 cals/day or 3500 cal/wk should result in about a #1 gain in weight a week and result in achieving her objective of a 15# gain in 15 weeks.

Based on this, I think the OP's protein goal is entirely reasonable and IMO it is not "ridiculous" or "unnecessary."

OP: Don't worry about the knee jerk "that's too much protein" responses you've gotten and just do it. You are on the right track and are the best judge and arbiter of YOUR nutritional needs/goals.

Good luck!

• BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Based on a 2400 cal diet, 200g of protein = 800 cals or just 33% of the OP's diet. This is NOT too much protein.

It is higher than the standard protein intake recommendation of 0.8-1.2g/# of BW but that recommendation is only in the context of one's GENERAL health and fitness needs and does not take into account an individuals specific physiology or their specific nutritional or physical goals.

While the OP's planned protein intake is twice this recommendation, she is intentionally increasing her daily cal intake in order to gain 15#.

The OP does not say what her maintenance calorie level is but assuming this is at or around 1900 cals/day, the extra 500 cals/day or 3500 cal/wk should result in about a #1 gain in weight a week and result in achieving her objective of a 15# gain in 15 weeks.

Based on this, I think the OP's protein goal is entirely reasonable and IMO it is not "ridiculous" or "unnecessary."

OP: Don't worry about the knee jerk "that's too much protein" responses you've gotten and just do it. You are on the right track and are the best judge and arbiter of YOUR nutritional needs/goals.

Good luck!

So much wrong with this statement..

There are numerous studies that have protein at a 0.6-0.8g/lb of body weight being optimal for bulking. So anymore than that would definitely be considered "unnecessary".

You're also basing her protein needs on her 2400 calorie diet and NOT her weight which is completely backwards thinking.

If OP has a tough time getting carbohydrates into her diet to create a caloric surplus, and increasing fat is out of the option, then yes that is the only time increasing protein to 200grams would be ideal.

However, in OP's original post she never mentioned that she was having a hard time getting carbohydrates in (which most people don't) so increasing carbohydrates over protein would be better for her nutritional needs/goals. No one is giving her "knee jerk" responses, we are just giving her the best advice based on her question.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I am doing a quick/clean bulk and my protein is at around 160 or so, that's more than I need but I also have a hard time hitting my carb/fat numbers. It won't hurt you but maybe try for a better balance if you can. Or, if that number is working for you, stick with it.
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    BigNate17 wrote: »

Good luck!

There are numerous studies that have protein at a 0.6-0.8g/lb of body weight being optimal for bulking. So anymore than that would definitely be considered "unnecessary".

You're also basing her protein needs on her 2400 calorie diet and NOT her weight which is completely backwards thinking.

If OP has a tough time getting carbohydrates into her diet to create a caloric surplus, and increasing fat is out of the option, then yes that is the only time increasing protein to 200grams would be ideal.

However, in OP's original post she never mentioned that she was having a hard time getting carbohydrates in (which most people don't) so increasing carbohydrates over protein would be better for her nutritional needs/goals. No one is giving her "knee jerk" responses, we are just giving her the best advice based on her question.

^This. OP is taking in more protein than necessary. No one is saying it's "too much", but 200g is overkill for her goals. Basing her intake off of calories and not lbs is flawed and incorrect. Carbs are king in a bulk.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I just need to point out that most of us "recommend" 0.8-1.2g/lb body weight, or whatever it is we "recommend". The actual amount of protein the USDA "recommends" is a measily 0.36 g/lb (0.8 g/kg)bodyweight.

Just read this really quick article to decide for yourself how much you want.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/268351-usda-recommendations-of-protein-in-diet/
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

Good luck!

^This. OP is taking in more protein than necessary. No one is saying it's "too much", but 200g is overkill for her goals. Basing her intake off of calories and not lbs is flawed and incorrect. Carbs are king in a bulk.

*calories are king...
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

Good luck!

*calories are king...

Calories are everthing...
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

What part of what I said was "So wrong . . ."? "Good luck!" ?

You can't base the protein assessment on her weight because her objective is to gain weight, not lose or maintain it, by increasing her daily cal intake to 2400 cal/day. She's 100# and wants to gain 15#. So, you have to base that assessment on her daily calorie goal, which should result in a #1/wk weight gain if her TDEE is 1900, more if it's less than that.

She obviously spent some time thinking about what she wanted to do because her 200g protein cal goal is exactly 33% of her 2400 cal/daily goal. She can eat as many carbs and as much fat as she likes to make up the rest.

Let's say she just gets 30% in protein, would that be too much? And how about 50% in carbs and 20% in fat for that rest. In this cases, she'd take in 180g protein, 300g carbs and 53g protein.

Wouldn't 300g of carbs a day be enough to satisfy you? Seems more than enough to me. Also what if she wants to maintain or increase LBM by working out. Won't she need more protein for that? Do you really think that 30-33% (180-200g) would too much for that? I don't.

If these macros are ok w/you, then the problem for you isn't with the macros, it's with the calories. Reduce the calories and the macros reduce accordingly but, assuming that she isn't trying to gain more than 1# a week, I really have no problem w/her calorie goal either.

I also disagree that people on MFP do not give "knee jerk" responses, especially when it comes to how much protein people ask they should take.

Seldom do people attempt to assess (as they failed to do here) the individual's needs/goals BEFORE saying that they only "need" 0.8-1.2g of protein/# BF or whatever standard they think is acceptable.

This happens way too often and I have been making a point to note it when I see it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

What part of what I said was "So wrong . . ."? "Good luck!" ?

You can't base the protein assessment on her weight because her objective is to gain weight, not lose or maintain it, by increasing her daily cal intake to 2400 cal/day. She's 100# and wants to gain 15#. So, you have to base that assessment on her daily calorie goal, which should result in a #1/wk weight gain if her TDEE is 1900, more if it's less than that.

She obviously spent some time thinking about what she wanted to do because her 200g protein cal goal is exactly 33% of her 2400 cal/daily goal. She can eat as many carbs and as much fat as she likes to make up the rest.

Let's say she just gets 30% in protein, would that be too much? And how about 50% in carbs and 20% in fat for that rest. In this cases, she'd take in 180g protein, 300g carbs and 53g protein.

Wouldn't 300g of carbs a day be enough to satisfy you? Seems more than enough to me. Also what if she wants to maintain or increase LBM by working out. Won't she need more protein for that? Do you really think that 30-33% (180-200g) would too much for that? I don't.

If these macros are ok w/you, then the problem for you isn't with the macros, it's with the calories. Reduce the calories and the macros reduce accordingly but, assuming that she isn't trying to gain more than 1# a week, I really have no problem w/her calorie goal either.

I also disagree that people on MFP do not give "knee jerk" responses, especially when it comes to how much protein people ask they should take.

Seldom do people attempt to assess (as they failed to do here) the individual's needs/goals BEFORE saying that they only "need" 0.8-1.2g of protein/# BF or whatever standard they think is acceptable.

This happens way too often and I have been making a point to note it when I see it

These are baseless "knee jerk" assertions on your part. If you look at protein studies (and I know you have) they are not looking at a % of calories... they look at g/kg of BW; the studies that look at percentages are generally in obese individuals who are doing isocaloric comparisons between LF and LC. Regardless of ones goals, a person who is 100 lbs does NOT need or will not benefit from (outside of personal preference) from 200g of protein, more so than consuming 80-120g. There are limitations of benefits from additional protein. More protein =/= more muscle. It's just not a linear relationship like that.

Below is a meta analysis of protein needs in a cut, which is greater than a bulk.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549