Macros or Calories?

Options
I have about 100 pounds to lose and I am wanting to lose it in about a year. I've done every diet that I can think of and I fail. I know this is the life style change and I really do try. I just need to work on being more consistent. Due to financial problems, the eating out as stopped all together. So I am eating more at home. Which is cheaper. I see that going by what I can afford I am well under my calories (usually around 1800-1850 MFP wants 2053) and when I look at my macros I never hit my protein. I have the CELLUCOR protein shakes (which are amazing by the day) How important is it to hit every single macro every day? Or if I just count calories will I lose weight?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-Confused plus size girl.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Calories first.
    Calories second.
    Macros third.

+1

Calories will determine how much weight you lose. Macros help with satiety (which is very individual) and for health and fitness goals/issues. Most people view their protein and fat goals as minimums and let carbs fall where they may.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Calories. Lost near 80 pounds in a year from CICO and a bit of exercise. Always CICO for the initial weight loss.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Calories.

I feel macros come in when you figure out how food affects you. If your lack of protein makes you hungry or tired it's time to re-assess. If you stick to or a bit under your calorie limit EVERY DAY (consistency is key), you will lose weight. We can't tell you how much or how fast, but you will lose weight.

I see the need for the deadline and when we start we have an idea of when we want to be 'something', but I do want to remind you that maintaining that weight loss is hard too. Don't be in too much of a hurry that you quit. Or get tired of it. Most people "quit" because they aren't doing something sustainable.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Calories first.
    Calories second.
    Macros third.

This.

Op-I lost my extra 50lbs without ever tracking/paying attention to macros. Calories is where it's at :)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight before I came here and when I did I started tracking calories to lose more. It worked, but I was always hungry and I didn't really think nor did I care about what I ate... only the calorie count. So I set my calorie target and starting working to hit my macro's instead. I prefer it because as long as it fits in my macro's I can eat it and at the end of the day I am sure to have a proper nutritional balance so I don't have to be hungry or think about cheating or binging or anything like that. I mean... If I eat 1200 calories worth of protein I'm going to end up sick in the long run... know what I mean?