• KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • lauriamannoe
    lauriamannoe Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    So how would everyone know if I'm being good or not? I don't drink a whole a lot to begin with (honestly, only when I'm away from home, couple months) But when I do I feel guilty.
  • PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    So how would everyone know if I'm being good or not? I don't drink a whole a lot to begin with (honestly, only when I'm away from home, couple months) But when I do I feel guilty.

You would have to keep yourself accountable :) This is just here for support. If you fall down, you get back up and try again. I'm shooting for 31/31 days this month with no alcohol.
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    One day in the books - for me that's a good start - very tempted last night.l
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    No thanks lol
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    FredKing1 wrote: »
    One day in the books - for me that's a good start - very tempted last night.l

WOHOO!! One day down! Take it one day at a time. You got this!
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    Good job, all! Ihad set this same goal for myself before I saw this thread... So.. I'm in! :)
    Omg, me. This is what is killing me on the weekends! Did you know a shot of vodka is 96 calories?! I'M IN!

I know, right? I had been drinking a pint of vodka a night (nearly 1k calories!) and it stalled my weight loss for a long, long time. Went most of last month without drinking and have dropped 17 lbs in that short time.

Just have to take it one night at a time.

So true! One night - one day at a time...and sometimes hour by hour! Congrats on losing 17 pounds!
  • shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Wine is my downfall. I'm also not weighing myself until Sept 1st. In the past, weight fluctuations have been a total mindf***!

We got this!
  • FredKing1
    Options
    Two days - I've started reading "This Naked Mind" trying to get to the point where rather than constantly feeling and resisting temptation - the desire lessens.
  • clsward1602
    clsward1602 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I drank last night, but will from today, next drink 4th September, here goes
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    FredKing1 wrote: »
    Two days - I've started reading "This Naked Mind" trying to get to the point where rather than constantly feeling and resisting temptation - the desire lessens.

Looks like a great book!
  • lorriemb
    lorriemb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I committed to no alcohol a couple of weeks ago-even poured the last of the wine down the sink drain. :o
  • PurpleLavender77
    Options
    lorriemb wrote: »
    I'm in. I committed to no alcohol a couple of weeks ago-even poured the last of the wine down the sink drain. :o

Wonderful! I'm on Day 11 myself. I wanted to get an early start
  • dmarsh1018
    dmarsh1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm in as of today (drank a bottle of wine last night)! I'll try to get through any social situations without, but that sure is going to be hard as alcohol makes me likable (and makes me like others lol)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Can I join even though I am only planning to better moderate rather than eliminate my alcohol consumption?

I was reading a magazine article at the doctor's office yesterday and the author was saying that, while she does not abuse alcohol, she needed to re-evaluate her relationship with alcohol. Too many social situations found her consuming way too much alcohol. She stated (and I do not remember the source) that the guidelines for women are no more than seven drinks per week and no more than three in one day. It made me realize that, even though I don't consider myself a heavy drinker, I generally consume a lot more alcohol than this and I thought perhaps maybe I should also re-evaluate my relationship with the stuff.

I cook every night. I generally like to have a glass of wine, often two, to compliment my meal. I don't want to give this up. I also spend time on the weekends with friends and family in party type situations where alcohol is involved. Sometimes they last for many hours and over the course of the day I find that I may have drank an entire bottle of wine along with a cocktail or two that someone has offered me. No wonder I feel sluggish and sore on my run the next day.

So my plan for August is to stick to those guidelines suggested in the article. No more than 3 drinks in any given day or seven in a week. I will still have a glass of wine with dinner, but not every night so that I can bank some of those drinks for social days when I may want to have my max of 3 drinks. It's going to be interesting because we will be going on vacation on Aug 20th, but i know I can do it.
  • FredKing1
    Options
    I don't know if it's the alcohol or the salty snacks or a combination, but I retain fluid when drinking. After two days I've lost five pounds and have noticeably less edema in my legs and feet. In a few days, I'm confident that my blood pressure will be down as well.