Intermittent fasting and training

Options
Abrahamsarah1
Abrahamsarah1 Posts: 9 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I recently began keto and IF (first meal at 11 am and window lasts until 5) so i took a little break from muay thai training because i was so weak due to the adaptation faze.
Now that i feel much better I need to get back to training but the problem is that i train in the evenings (6 - 9pm) after my fasting begins. So after training is it necessary for me to eat something? If yes then how will i be able to continue intermittent fasting, since training ends at 9pm???
Thanks for the help

Replies

• ksmoira
    ksmoira Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey! So I do the same where I fast in the evening, nothing after 5. But you can do IF with a different window of eating time. Some people fast in the morning. As for the weakness, are you getting enough calories in within your window? Or are you towing the line?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry after training?
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5am and don't eat for another 7-9 hours afterward. As long as I get my calories in, I don't feel the difference between eating after exercise and not.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I recently began keto and IF (first meal at 11 am and window lasts until 5) so i took a little break from muay thai training because i was so weak due to the adaptation faze.
    Now that i feel much better I need to get back to training but the problem is that i train in the evenings (6 - 9pm) after my fasting begins. So after training is it necessary for me to eat something? If yes then how will i be able to continue intermittent fasting, since training ends at 9pm???
    Thanks for the help

You may feel better because you aren't training. Nearly everyone I know who tried keto, couldn't sustain that kind of exercise. Depending on how intense your workout is and how much you are eating otherwise, it's hard to say how you will fare not eating afterwards. Give it a try and see how it goes.
  • Abrahamsarah1
    Options
    ksmoira wrote: »
    Hey! So I do the same where I fast in the evening, nothing after 5. But you can do IF with a different window of eating time. Some people fast in the morning. As for the weakness, are you getting enough calories in within your window? Or are you towing the line?
    I never really feel hungry, i eat 3 meals in the window and i feel extremely satiated, i would never play around with my food and calories like that, i always make sure to eat the exact amount of calories needed
  • Abrahamsarah1
    Options
    Are you hungry after training?

Ever since i started keto no im not
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I never tried keto, had no desire to. I just stuck to a diet that was mostly natural, balanced and high in protein and fat with moderate carbs.
    I fasted for 18-20 hours per day and ate all my calories in the evening.
    I trained fasted, usually in the early evening, and never ate immediately afterwards...but usually 2-3 hours later.
    Whatever I was doing worked as I dropped to 12% bodyfat from 20% in around 4-5 months.
    Now working to get back to that and will probably pursue IF when I return to the gym.

As long as you are eating enough during your window and don't have issues with blood sugar, you should be fine.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat something after training if you don't want to. What matters most if that you just meet your macros by the end of the day. Since I work afternoons & evenings (I normally wake up around noon to get to work around 1:00), I normally find it easier to not eat until 11-12 at night after I've gotten home, exercised, and showered. That said, I could just as easily flip that and have the same results.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    You can shift/manipulate your feed window to whatever works best for you. No, there is no inherent need to eat after training, but if you want to based on your own preferences, then go for it. You can either expand your feed window, or shift it to later in the day. IF is pretty flexible.