Trouble getting maintenance/recomp calories right

So I was eating around 2100 per day (2050-2150), I also mistakenly was have the random date night and not lowering calories to account for that. It appears that I gained some weight- I'm up 6 lbs from my dieting weight, so I lowered it to 1850 on advice from a trainer I know. I'm 5'3, 138, 34 yo, nursing my 18 month old 4x a day.

So now attempting to do 1850, I'm SOoo hungry. Like too hungry to try to ignore. I'm not someone who can just eat intuitively because I'll eat too much, but I have to think that being THIS hungry isn't normal for maintenance, right? I'm doing the Strong Curves program, and stay home with my toddler, so I'm lightly active all day with her.

This whole maintenance thing is stressful honestly!

Replies

• Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    Yeah, I'm assuming that some of the 6lbs is water. My jeans are a little tighter though, so it's not all water
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    How frequently are your random date nights? Never mind that. Set your mind on not using "date night" as an excuse to eat above maintenance.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    -You can try playing with your macros, food volume, fibre to help keep full
    -You can try increasing your cal goal a little bit more
    -Eating a bit less during the week if you know you have a date night scheduled, or eat less during that day, or add some more activity to balance it out (lots of options).

Also keep in mind if you just started a new program, your weight can fluctuate a lot, especially since you are doing Strong Curves... there is a lot of volume to the largest muscle so expect the scale to reflect that!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Make smaller adjustments and stick to the new number for a month - you do have the rest of your life to get it right! ;)
  • Raegold
    Thanks everyone! I do weigh everything I eat, and on the rare date night, I wouldn't say that I binge or eat anything super caloric like fried foods or cheesecake. But it can be really hard to estimate calories in things I didn't make myself, as I'm sure you know.

I'm assuming that the breastfeeding is effecting my hunger, which I know it usually does.

Yeah, the strong curves program is making me starving!!!!! It doesn't look like much at first glance, but it's hardcore!
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Hi, old and short here so I only get 1200, I find that when I'm starving I'm low on fat. My solution is to eat baked chicken with the skin on it and eggs for breakfast. Two eggs and two egg whites with veggies. It really helps for days.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    OP, if you step back and look at the big picture, you seem to be managing things really well.

Honestly, nursing is a total game changer. I think nursing requires more fat in one's diet in addition to more calories. Many women maintain 5-10 pounds (water weight mostly) while they are nursing. Once they stop (and the supply stops), they shed the water weight. For me, it was about 5 pounds and it was noticeable to me... just a little all-around puffiness that I noticed. I was doing a lot of travel for a demanding job, scheduling client meetings around times I could sneak off to a lobby public restroom (and once, literally, a broom closet because the restroom had no outlets) to pump, my pump took up 80% of my roll-aboard suitcase... I worked so hard at being able to nurse for 6 months. The extra 5 pounds or whatever was my absolute last concern. Kudos to you for being able to keep it up for so long. Nursing won't last forever, and you can shift your priorities after you stop nursing. Not everything can be a top priority, at least not at the same time. Are you getting enough sleep? That really deserves to be a top priority, certainly higher than exercise. Cut yourself some slack. It sounds like you really have it under control!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    if it was one random night, I would hypothesize that is it water weight - and yes, even water weight can make your clothes tight - I was up 5lbs after a high day of sodium the other day

you dropped close to 400cal (2250 to 1850) - so it stands to reason you would be hungry
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Breastfeeding increases the number of calories you need, I believe they say about 500. It's not just about feelings of hunger, it's about true calorie needs to support you and your child.
  • Raegold
    Thanks for the replies about breastfeeding... since my daughter is 18 months and nursing 4x a day, it's hard to know really how many extra calories I need. I know that breastmilk for toddlers has more fat than when the baby is young. I'm also honestly not sure how much she is getting total... so idk if I'm burning like 100 calories or 300, etc. Also she still does wake up at night like half the time, so my sleep situation is not the best. This too shall pass! I just worked SO hard to lose 40 lbs on WW, so I'm like really not wanting to gain back any of that body fat that I lost! But I guess to flip that around, if I gain a little during my recomp, I know I can lose it again. And chances are it won't be a lot of body fat, since I'm eating at least close to maintenance
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Raegold wrote: »
    Also she still does wake up at night like half the time, so my sleep situation is not the best. This too shall pass!

Google "sleep, leptin, ghrelin"

Bodies respond to too little sleep by elevating ghrelin (signals brain to cause hunger) and reducing leptin (signals brain to stop hunger). Anyone is going to be more hungry when they get too little sleep. My experience is a good plan, willpower & discipline are no match for these hormones when I'm sleep deprived. I WILL eat more.

If increased hunger coincided with exercise, it is probably related, but I would not overlook sleep. It's important for the 18 mo old, too. Have you talked with her pediatrician about what she needs (and is not getting) to be able to sleep through the night consistently?

It sounds like you have a great attitude and you're doing a great job. I hear you about just not knowing how to calculate calories for milk production, but your estimates look low to me for a growing toddler nursing 4x/day. Does the pediatrician's practice have a nurse specializing in breastfeeding? That person was a tremendous help to me about lots of things, including the baby's sleep patterns.
  • Raegold
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Raegold wrote: »
    Also she still does wake up at night like half the time, so my sleep situation is not the best. This too shall pass!

Google "sleep, leptin, ghrelin"

Bodies respond to too little sleep by elevating ghrelin (signals brain to cause hunger) and reducing leptin (signals brain to stop hunger). Anyone is going to be more hungry when they get too little sleep. My experience is a good plan, willpower & discipline are no match for these hormones when I'm sleep deprived. I WILL eat more.

If increased hunger coincided with exercise, it is probably related, but I would not overlook sleep. It's important for the 18 mo old, too. Have you talked with her pediatrician about what she needs (and is not getting) to be able to sleep through the night consistently?

It sounds like you have a great attitude and you're doing a great job. I hear you about just not knowing how to calculate calories for milk production, but your estimates look low to me for a growing toddler nursing 4x/day. Does the pediatrician's practice have a nurse specializing in breastfeeding? That person was a tremendous help to me about lots of things, including the baby's sleep patterns.

Thank you! Her 18 month check up is on Friday, so I'm going to ask about her teething then. Im assuming that's why she's waking up lately, but I'm not positive. We do sleep train, but I always make an exception for teething.

The sleeping and hormones thing makes sense. It's just rough with little ones unless they are perfect sleepers (my two are NOT). My 5 year old is sometimes the one who is up with nightmares or night terrors, etc. I guess all I can do is my best right now!!