Butt exercise advice needed

Options
I'm looking for some suggestions on how to get the butt rounder on the outer butt (just right behind the thighs). I'm currently consistently doing squats, wall sits, bridge thrusts, and donkey kicks. I feel like it's definitely getting more toned, but still doesn't have that full roudness on the outside like I want. Any exercises that would work that outside more?

Replies

• Jessyperry
    Jessyperry Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm on an approximately 1500 calorie diet a day. I've cut out white carbs and stick to corn flour and whole wheat flour, but I rarely eat it anyway. My family genetics are good, my whole family is pretty thin and my mom has a phenomenal butt (LOL).
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    3. How long have you been doing these activities? (a few weeks isn't long enough)
    4. Are you eating in a surplus? (if you want to build a booty you need to eat)
    5. Are these weighted activities? (adding weight adds resistance which increases muscle mass as long as you are not in a deficit)
  • Jessyperry
    Options
    I do them about 3 times a week and have been for 2 months consistently now. I've cut out cardio while doing them. I do use weights, but not a ton. I use 30 pounds for squats, 30 pounds on my lap for wall sits for one set and 20 pounds for next set, 20 pounds for bridge thrusts, donkey kicks no weights.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into a lifting routine like strong curves. Either way, you need to keep adding weight to the exercises. You can use a band or ankle weights for donkey kicks.
  • Jessyperry
    Options
    I actually just got resistance bands yesterday, so I definitely will be integrating them. I have ankle weights too that I have never used, that's a great idea! Thank you :)
  • vmsolko
    vmsolko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like doing RDLs (reverse deadlifts) and deadlifts to feel a burn in my butt. Also fire hydrants. We consistently do them with the donkey kicks. IDK if any of those specifically tone that part of your butt, but it can't hurt.
  • Jessyperry
    Options
    vmsolko wrote: »
    I like doing RDLs (reverse deadlifts) and deadlifts to feel a burn in my butt. Also fire hydrants. We consistently do them with the donkey kicks. IDK if any of those specifically tone that part of your butt, but it can't hurt.

OOoooo fire hydrants look awesome! I'll definitely incorporate those. I forgot to mention reverse deadlifts (knew I was forgetting one). I don't do those every time, but I do incorporate those 1-2 times a week. Thank you :)
  • Jessyperry
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    To build muscle in the glutes you will ideally have to eat at maintenance or surplus. If you are dieting you can maintain the muscle and perhaps grow it a bit, but it may not help you get where you need to go. Depending on your stats you can recomp, or if you still have quite a bit of weight to lose, keep at it until you are closer to goal then you can switch to maintenance and start to build some muscle. I would definitely follow a glute focused lifting program though as suggested, Strong Curves is a great one.

Yeah it seems like I will need to start eating a bit more than I am now. Thank you for your help. You look great btw! Pretty much what I am striving for.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    A woman at my gym has the most awesome silhouette... she does hip thrusts with a barbell loaded with 305 lbs... she also kills it on the stairmaster and a stepper machine for 1/2 hour at a time...walking lunges will help as will a few variations of squats... to ad mass takes a lot of heavy lifting... lady I worked with 5-1 maybe 100 lbs... was squatting 165 lbs 2x week as her working sets 4x5 reps. You are lifting way too light
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Leg presses are very good As well.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Also time on a stationary bike will help... set the resistance high and keep the pace around 90 rpm, make it burn 15 minutes should be plenty as long as you keep the rpms at 90
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Jessyperry wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    To build muscle in the glutes you will ideally have to eat at maintenance or surplus. If you are dieting you can maintain the muscle and perhaps grow it a bit, but it may not help you get where you need to go. Depending on your stats you can recomp, or if you still have quite a bit of weight to lose, keep at it until you are closer to goal then you can switch to maintenance and start to build some muscle. I would definitely follow a glute focused lifting program though as suggested, Strong Curves is a great one.

Yeah it seems like I will need to start eating a bit more than I am now. Thank you for your help. You look great btw! Pretty much what I am striving for.

Thank you! I've gone through many years of multiple bulk/cut cycles.. so it takes time and consistency.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My lower body workout—which targets more muscles than just the glutes, but I think that each exercise works the glutes in some way—consists of the following. Note that I started at lower reps/weights and have been gradually working my way up:

Squats with weights. One set of 12, One set of 15, all with an 8-lb dumbbell on each shoulder (i.e. 16 lbs all together). Assuming I can handle that well by the end of the week, next week, it'll be two sets of 15. (Last week, it was two sets of 12.)

Side-squats with weights. Using a cardio step. One set of 12, One set of 15, all with an 8-lb dumbbell in each hand (i.e. 16 lbs all together). That's on each leg, i.e. 24 and 30 reps per set all together.

Lunges. One set of 12, One set of 15 all with a 5lb dumbbell in each hand. That's on each leg.

Donkey Kicks. Two sets of 12, one set of 8, with 5lb ankle weights. That's for each leg. (This week was adding the third set. Next week, it'll be three sets of 12. And then, I'll start gradually increasing the weight.)

I'm noticing strength gains, but since I'm working to lose weight, I'm not actually building much muscle, if any. I'm just trying to hang on to what I've got.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    GlassslippersAndFairyDust Posts: 518 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Do crab walks with a band.....google it and heavy weights on the hip thrusts. Also, time is a big factor as it can take a while.
  • weirdede07
    weirdede07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to get a rounder butt!

Squats, lunges, and leg press 3-4 / week with weights. If you're the type of person who gets sore with more volume (like me), do a minimum of 100 reps of weighted squats with 50% 1RM.

I've also learned that for every day of doing front leg workouts, you need at least the same amount of back leg workouts. This means hamstrings and calves, and things like stiff legged deadlifts to work on the back leg area (weighted of course).

I hope this helps! :)