Do you 'forget' to eat lunch?

Options
So Amy Schumer did a humorous bit a while back, about people who 'forget' to eat lunch. She said something like, "those words have literally, never come out of my mouth".

I thought that this was hilarious, because while I have sometimes skipped lunch on purpose, I have never 'forgotten' to eat lunch.

Of course my husband (who I am convinced is a mutant) has frequently forgotten to eat lunch. He also has never had a weight problem.

So confess, do you forget to eat lunch, and do have/have you had, a weight problem?

Replies

• KiraChristiansen
    KiraChristiansen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I forget to eat breakfast fairly often, lunch is less likely. While I've never been an overweight BMI, I did gain to the edge of where is acceptable for my height, and my bone structure/frame is rather tiny. My weight tends to yo-yo a bit and have consistently had problems getting back into healthy eating patterns after a period of weight gain. I also was 'overweight' for the amount of exercise I got/my profession for a period of time(I was in a ballet company-where a BMI of over 20(ish)is overweight.) So while I haven't had a typical person's weight problem, I have had a weight problem(if that makes sense?)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I have forgotten/ignored eating lunch. Never had a weight problem.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    No, I've never forgotten to eat.

I've had a weight problem since puberty.

I do skip breakfast on purpose to help manage my calories now, if that counts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yeah...not too often, but it happens. I forgot to eat lunch last Friday because I was getting my camper ready to go camping and packing and whatnot and before I knew it, it was 3:30 PM and time to get on the road...I just ate some jerky on the way up to the mountains and had a hearty dinner that evening.

It happens sometimes when I'm working on a big yard work day or cleaning out the garage, etc...I get wrapped up in what I'm doing and just keep going. I typically make up for it with a snack and a good dinner...and some beer.

I never really had a weight problem until I was in my 30s and started working at a desk.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It can get late in the day before I get round to eating and I don't realise how late it is. But I'm not forgetting, I just haven't made the effort to eat.

As an adult I've neary always been overweight (crept up to obese over a couple of years then started losing) but maintained there, so I guess not a weight problem strictly, just not quite a healthy weight.
  • Shenzi03
    Shenzi03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My job is fast-paced with tight deadlines so it's not uncommon for me to look up, see that it's 2:30, and realize I haven't eaten lunch...like today. I'm snacking on a handful of almonds just to keep my bloodsugar at bay until I eat dinner. I was overweight my entire life until about 4 years ago when I started eating clean and working out. I've also forgetten to eat breakfast and dinner, but usually not the same day or as often.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yep, I use to always forget to eat lunch, especially if I'm busy at work and I've had a weight problem (> 100 lbs overweight) for a long time.

It got to the point I'd set timers to ring and remind me but I'd subconsciously reach up and shut them off without realizing it & keep working due to being highly focused on my work (i.e. debugging code). Then, 8 hours later when I'm heading home after work (& "unplugged" from my work), I'd get ravenously hungry & only want to eat (binge) on junk food & eat way too many calories in one sitting which also made keeping my diabetes (& binge eating) under control very difficult.

• sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I NEVER miss a meal
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I may be an outlier here. While there have been instances in which I've skipped meals due to being very busy, I don't recall having forgotten to eat lunch before. I've never had a problem with excess weight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yup.. quite often actually. I probably shouldn't since it is right after my workout but I am usually too busy to realize until it's 3pm and all of a sudden I'm hungry.

I've never had a weight problem... But I mean I am still a youngster (33) with the energy of a jumping bean
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    When I am super busy, running errands and trying to squeeze lots in while someone is watching my kids, yes, but I will realize by about 2:30-3:00 pm when the hunger pangs start. Other than that, never.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Not forgotten, but have found myself had such a busy day that I haven't had time to eat.
    This is rare however.
    I find by the time dinner time comes I am ravenous.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Yup. Sometimes if I'm working in my office at home, hours and hours will pass without me noticing and I don't think about food until my husband comes in and puts it down in front of my keyboard.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have never forgotten to eat ever in my life. Not when sick, depressed, busy, in labour... lol never ever have I forgotten to eat (wish I could!). Have always been a little bit overweight besides a few years here and there when I used MFP after having babies etc
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get so busy I forget lunch or dinner. I've never had a big weight problem, but I have gotten slightly into an overweight BMI a couple times, which is why I'm here.

But an issue with forgetting a meal is that part of me being hangry can either be me passing out, or eating everything in my site so I take in more calories than if I just had remembered to eat.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The only time was when I was 19 and in the midst of depression. I was already over 200 pounds then. My best friend is one who forgets to eat, but she has a chronic illness that messes with her body enough.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My ex was very thin. Often when someone says they "forgot" lunch it basically means "I wasn't bothered to eat it". Some people may get a que for lunch, ignore it, and forgot that they ignored it, so in a sense they "forgot" lunch. Never happened to me. I've been too busy to eat or skipped lunch on purpose, but "forget" and "food" are two words that you will never see me combine.