How to eat 1200 calories without starving?

Options
I cannot stick to my goal even if I pre log the foods I will eat, I tend to eat other things along with them

Replies

• idk319
    idk319 Posts: 33 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I want to lose 7 lbs.
    I am 5'9" and 135 lbs
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It's kind of impossible to make a suggestion without knowing a little about what you're eating now. Are you eating protein? If not, add in some eggs - that is something that satisfies me. Most people here will recommend that you drink a lot of water and zero calorie fluids to help fill you up and keep yourself hydrated.
  • idk319
    Options
    I usually eat up to my maintenance calories and actually some days I eat more than my maintenance calories and log those foods in for the next day - so I have less to eat the next day.
    It's a bad cycle
    I'm female btw
    I recently moved to a place that has all my favorite things (desserts)
    So it's difficult to resist cakes, ice cream and things like that.
    Sometimes I try to fit in a few treats in my day but it usually makes me eat above my calorie goal
    I even tried for half a lb a week with 1470 calories
  • idk319
    Options
    My maintenance calories are 1700
  • ObviousPanda
    ObviousPanda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I usually have a bagel thin toasted with a tablespoon of peanut butter. It's about 205 calories.
    Today for lunch I made 5oz of chicken and a can of spinach. It was about 240 calories.
    That still leaves 755 calories for dinner and a small snack.
    Drink water, don't use up your calories on drinks. I have coffee in the morning with 2tsp sugar (30 calories) and sometimes I drink green tea.
    It can be done. Lean meats and vegetables are great for feeling full and staying under your calorie goal.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    idk319 wrote: »
    I usually eat up to my maintenance calories and actually some days I eat more than my maintenance calories and log those foods in for the next day - so I have less to eat the next day.
    It's a bad cycle
    I'm female btw
    I recently moved to a place that has all my favorite things (desserts)
    So it's difficult to resist cakes, ice cream and things like that.
    Sometimes I try to fit in a few treats in my day but it usually makes me eat above my calorie goal
    I even tried for half a lb a week with 1470 calories

And how long did you keep at that?

I agree with hale, sounds like a control issue. Pushing calories to the next day in order to I presume balance your current day just lets you avoid facing what needs work. Who says you have to resist cakes, ice cream etc? That kind of thinking could also be defeating you.
  • prima_donut
    prima_donut Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It does sound like a self control issue. You need to figure out what areas of dieting you have a better time controlling. for some people that might mean exercising more to give them more calories, for another person it might mean a reduced eating window (like skipping breakfast or dinner in exchange for larger, more satisfying meals). If you need to have higher calorie days to feel satisfied, I would recommend staggering your calorie levels daily throughout the week, but, and this is important, plan the daily levels in advance. so if you want to average out 1200, maybe give yourself more than that on days you anticipate needing a treat (like weekends) and eating under that amount on other days to balance it out, but making sure it is done carefully and with you in control, not as a bandaid solution after you have overeaten. Some people do better with larger amounts of lower calorie foods, others are more satisfied by a small piece of cheese than a plate of vegetables. Hard to give you more specific advice without knowing details of your regular eating style and triggers to overeating.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    OP set your goal to half-a-lb per week. Focus on getting enough protein, fat, and fiber as some combination of those will help you feel full. If you get snacky in between meals, try keeping yourself busy, drinking something with no calories, chewing gum, and stock up on low-cal snacks.

You are already at a pretty low weight for your height. Is this just a number you decided to reach? Are you not happy with something specific about your body? Maybe recomp would be better for you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    idk319 wrote: »
    I want to lose 7 lbs.
    I am 5'9" and 135 lbs

With less than 10 pounds to lose your weekly weight loss goal should be no more than 1/2 pound a week. That will give you more calories.

Also, MFP gave you a calorie goal before exercise. If you do exercise, you should be eating more.

Aggressive weight loss makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. If you want to lower body fat....a lower weekly weight loss goal will help.