Plant based people, where ya at?

Options
13»

Replies

• PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    To be honest, I initially used the term plant based in my original post based on the stigma non/radical vegans have made. Unfortunately, veganism has a few connotations (at least in the US i.e. where I'm from). I use both terms interchangeably to avoid confrontation, especially in a social setting.
    Nevertheless, I am not ashamed to be titled as a vegan. Sorry if this caused some confusion!
  • BrendalovesJFP
    BrendalovesJFP Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a vegan! ✌
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Hmm, when I hear "plant based" I interpret it to mean people who eat primarily plants, but other things (possibly meat, dairy, fish) in small quantities as well.
  • brucebolingjr
    brucebolingjr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Woot woot!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    PinkPupper wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    I've never taken plant based to mean vegan or vegetarian. I see those as stricter versions of plant based. The definitions I've seen allowed for animal products and meat, but as long as the large majority of one's diet is plant based, they would be under that umbrella. I consider myself plant based, even though I eat animals & animal products. Most of my intake comes from plants though.

Plant based is consider a diet which consists of only plants.

This is a relatively new consideration. Plant based diets are just that - diets that are based on plants. Which is different than a diet of only plants.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Dunno about that one either. "Plant-exclusive" sounds like someone who excludes plants!

English is hard. :pensive:

Plant monogamous.

(I don't really care, I'm used to plant-based as shorthand for what OP used it to mean, just trying to help.) ;-)

:D
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Well this is a fun thread! I'm currently adjusting my eating to reduce dairy and meat, and potentially eliminate them. Doing it for both health and humane reasons. My biggest adjustment has been family meal planning...my whole life, dinners have been planned around the meat main course, with vegetables and grains as sides. It's definitely a new mindset!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Plant based is such a vague term... Grain is plant based, sugar is plant based, oils are plant based, fruit and vegies are plant based, alcohol and many drugs are plant based.
    Dairy, meat, eggs... From animals that survive on plants...

I'm not "plant based" but I eat around 1.5kgs vegies and fruit a day...

• Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    My plant base eating does not include any processed food. Nothing that came from something with a face. No oils and nothing with more than two ingredients. We can all define it in whatever works for us.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    This is a six year old thread and the person you are quoting hasn’t been on in almost three years and will probably not see your response.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    Hi, a whole food plant-based vegan here. Health, environment, ethical and longevity. Nuf said. All smiles, complex carbs, nuts grains, veggies, fruit, cacao, carob...coffee. Water, herbs, tea,,, yes Soy, carbs and sprouted bread.... yup, happy here, add if you like. Done with fads. Yay!