Target/Goal Rewards

Options
I'm working on my goals and I'm putting together some rewards and I realized that I have a hard time thinking outside the box for this - in my previous attempts I totally rewarded myself with food. So. Trying to break that habit.

I am curious: What kinds of rewards did you use or have you seen others use that were not food based? So far I have things like a pedicure, new sports bra, dance lessons for big goals.

Replies

• Lshona
    Lshona Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Jewelry, massages, tattoo, perfume, clothes, books.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, I'm a guy. Per weight loss my fashion style was, well, I dressed like an unmade bed. I've lost 100 lbs. At -25lbs I bought a new suit that fit properly. Changed my life. Notvexaggerating. Even though I still weighed 255+, I could look good.

I won't go through the whole story of finding Harry the tailor, who taught me how to dress. But clothes that fit properly provided daily visual proof of my progress. Yeah, I bought clothes that were soon on their way to charity. Worth every cent.

Agree food is a bad idea. I like all the suggestions in this thread. Personally, I'd skip the tattoo though. Lots of health benefits to massage.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have two friends who are LMTs and they are amazing, I can definitely add that to my list. I agree @88olds about the tailoring - I used to work in a bridal shop and I make some of my own clothing (though not as much as I'd like). Ready to wear doesn't fit right and if one is not careful or prepared, looks schlumpy. I should find a tailor or a seamstress though to help with some of the harder fits so that is excellent! And depending on what one needs done, doesn't have to be crazy expensive!

@Lshona I totally had a thought about a tattoo I've wanted since my late 20s last night after I went to bed. That might be a maintenance goal/reward.

I was also thinking ballet lessons - it's been two decades since I was at the barre, but I miss it. Maybe a cooking class, the continuing education group here does a lot of those.

I've broken up my goals into catagories like weight (in 5% increments, maintenance, and different marks like 1/4, 1/2 to goal, 25% of my starting weight), Fitness goals like completing a C25K, pull ups, completing a 5k, beating the time in a 5k, and then some non scale victories - little and big ones. This is my first time doing it this way and I really like the non-food rewards it's just keeping a good mix of things in there.

Anyone else? I love these suggestions!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I've never had a pair of pants that really fit, so like @88olds (you rock, sir) a pair of custom tailored pants await me! ( my waist prob 2 sizes smaller than butt and thighs in store bought clothes).
    One of my rewards will be scheduling a trip to a water park. I have always loved them, even when I have been body self conscious so expect if I go when I feel good about my body it will be great!
    Another one I have are spiffy new glasses/ my current glasses still fit, but with me looking different, I bet I can find a new style to go with me.
    OP you are inspiring me to think of more- maybe I'll go for a new hairstyle ( it has been decades in this one) or wild hair extensions. I have also thought about what I might want to dress up as for Halloween!
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Oh those are great! I am also self conscious in water parks :/ I miss out on a lot of things by being self conscious. The glasses and hair too - I always go plain jane so I can just get on with life. I have a stylist and she is going to cry when she sees the state of my hair on my next visit. I haven't seen her since... New years eve. Yeesh.