Dealing with gallstones

Options
I was diagnosed with gallstones about 4 months ago. The first attack was definitely the worst and left me bedridden for 3 days. I still have periods of having attacks, usually a group of them will come at once then I wont have another for a few weeks. Sometimes I would have had something really fatty which set it off but other times its just totally random. Yesterday I went to a family bbq but paid for it last night :(

My doctor says she wants me to control it via diet alone and wont refer me to surgery. Tbh if there is a way to do it without surgery that would be preferable to me too as I have a 13 month old to look after so cant really afford to be laid up very often.

Is there anything I can do to help stave off attacks (already trying to avoid too much fat)?

Replies

• Eirene80
    Eirene80 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. That really hurts! The doctor told me to avoid all fats and spicy foods until surgery was scheduled.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. I had the same painful problem for quite a while and in the end had my gallbladder removed (some 3 years ago). I still cannot tolerate fat heavy foods (like fried things in lots of oil, huge portions of bbq meet , sauces with lots of cream etc etc etc) but am not in pain anymore as I was before the surgery (granted, my body needed an adjustment and so did my daily diet). Hoping for the best for you!
  • janettewest9
    janettewest9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OUCH!!!! had my gall bladder out in 1997 after a 4 year waiting list eeeek.
    I cant offer you any other advice apart from what you already know (avoid fatty/spicy food)
    I don't get pain now but still have to avoid similar foods as I find they make me feel sickly but pleased I had the op
    xx
  • katz6910
    katz6910 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The Drs wanted to put me on a 3 year waiting list but after a 2.5 stone loss in 1.5 months, because I was too scared to eat after 6 hospitalizations, they finally pushed to get mine removed quicker. Best thing ever! I hope you can find a way to control it. Mine ended up being triggered randomly (not just fatty foods) and I literally only ate salad but it still happened. Good luck I had a 3 month old at the time mine was removed and the recovery from the surgery was easier than the attacks themselves!
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying.

I guess I am hoping there will be someone who says they managed to beat it without surgery! Maybe just wishful thinking :/