2 ingredient sweet potato flatbread

Options
kelly_stevens81
kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
I made this last night and it was so good with our dinner!

http://veganlovlie.com/sweet-potato-flatbread-no-added-oil

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Looks good! Although "1 sweet potato" is a pretty vague ingredient and the results (and calorie count) could vary greatly depending on the size of the sweet potato you use. Any guidance there? How big was you sweet potato? Also wondering how well this would work with gluten free flour.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Did they come out like they did in that pic? looks delicious
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Yea right lol :)

Why wouldn't it? It's sweet potato and flour.
  • kelly_stevens81
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It came out perfectly! I have made these twice since I posted this. I created a recipe for the items with the weight of the sweet potato flesh and the weight of the flour and that gives me the calories for the whole batch. Then I weigh the whole batch and figure out the portions. So far it has been an 83g portion of roti for 146 calories. That is with 203 grams of potato and 5 ounces of flour. I cook these in a pan with cooking spray and it comes out just like they are in the picture with the charred bits, so yummy smokey sweet. The amount of flour you have to use will vary depending on how moist your potato is, the first time I had to use less flour because i watched my potatoes closer and they didn't sit in the water for a long time (aka they came out as soon as they were done). The second time i was busy cutting veg and they sat in the water longer forcing me to use an ounce more flour (but they tasted the same and were delicious.
  • kelly_stevens81
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Korean Sticky Chicken and broccoli, with sweet potato roti:
    1l1jz88ht6br.jpg

Roast chicken leg meat with blanched veg (zuchini, spinach, carrots, celery) with sour cream and sriracha:
    0ymxu0mocr2d.jpg

• kelly_stevens81
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Looks good! Although "1 sweet potato" is a pretty vague ingredient and the results (and calorie count) could vary greatly depending on the size of the sweet potato you use. Any guidance there? How big was you sweet potato? Also wondering how well this would work with gluten free flour.

The amount of flour you use while kneading is determined by the stickiness of the batter, if it sticks to your hand/board every time you press on it you need to use more flour. Once the batter doesn't stick every time you press on it you are ready to portion it and roll it out, though as you are rolling you will need some more flour to keep it from sticking as it gets thinner. I roll mine with our roller (aka rolling pin, but have a pampered chef pastry roller) and flip it every couple passes with the roller this way it gets re-floured until it is the desired thickness. I start with 1/2 the flour in with the potato and add the rest as I am kneading.

My potato's were 203g and 248g and I used 5 and 6 ounces of flour with those respectively. In the article she mentions that she hasn't tried with gluten free flour yet but may in the future, mostly because the regular flour gives a fluffier result.

However in the comments the author posted "I’ve made a few attempts (with gluten free flour) but not entirely satisfied with the final results yet. Some people have tried with chickpea+millet flour blend with some satisfactory results. Let me know how it turns out if you give it a go."
  • kelly_stevens81
    Options

Yes they did! And were super yummy!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    <3 your doggos haahaa
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You can use pumpkin/squash as well, or use tomato passata to make lovely tomato ones.

@lporter229 this is a very gluten-dependent recipe, gluten-free flour isn't going to work here. You would need to find a specific recipe for gluten-free flatbreads.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    What is the nutritional profile?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »

Flour + sweet potato. Mostly carbs.
  • Morgaen73
    Options

Flour + sweet potato. Mostly carbs.

Yeah I got that ... I was looking for specifics lol
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    You could enter it as a recipe on myfitnesspal and it'll give you the breakdown
  • Morgaen73
    Options
    Again, i get that. Thought maybe you already have it before I go and weigh stuff and scan barcaroles.

But thanks. I'll get it myself.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Looks great, going to make it tonight!
  • Morgaen73
    Options
    Again, i get that. Thought maybe you already have it before I go and weigh stuff and scan barcaroles.

But thanks. I'll get it myself.

Ok that came out wrong ... sorry. I'll make it this weekend so I'll get the nutritional info then thanks :)
  • kelly_stevens81
    Options
    Here is the nutrition info from my last recipie (83g serving)
    8yzyqknck16g.jpg
  • CattOfTheGarage
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Interestingly, a barcarole is a type of song sung by boatmen in Venice as they steer their gondolas along the canals.

How romantic! Autocorrect win.
  • fruitystix
    fruitystix Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Amazing..thank you