Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is smoking making a comeback in 2017?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't think so...I think it's actually just more noticeable because less people are smoking...so it's weird to see someone smoking a cigarette and catches your attention.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Not smoking, but I've noticed a ton of Vaping in our area. That's annoying because it smells and people are allowed to do anywhere.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Good timing. We had this conversation the other day - apparently, my 17-year-old stepdaughter has "dabbled" in smoking lately. Some new menthol thing? I'm really upset, but also really, really surprised (and then sort of chided myself for being surprised, because almost NOTHING she does surprises me - I'm usually the chill adult in our family) but I honestly thought smoking was "out." I never see teenagers and kids smoking like they used to, but yes, apparently, it's coming back a little.

SHE actually thinks that the recent increase in anti-smoking ads are actually to blame for increased smoking in teens. Typical teenager argument, but she might actually be on to something.

I completely agree with your daughter on this. Any publicity is good publicity.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I once told an aspiring politician that cigarette odors were the smell of freedom. I didn't and don't and don't expect to start, but you should be free to even if my assertion from 2 decades ago is no longer valid.

It isn’t freedom if your actions impair the health and/or comfort of others, it is selfishness.

It's probably because it's illegal to smoke in most places that you notice the smokers out more.

My state has been "smoke-free" since 2006, so people smoking outside more is nothing new.

Good timing. We had this conversation the other day - apparently, my 17-year-old stepdaughter has "dabbled" in smoking lately. Some new menthol thing? I'm really upset, but also really, really surprised (and then sort of chided myself for being surprised, because almost NOTHING she does surprises me - I'm usually the chill adult in our family) but I honestly thought smoking was "out." I never see teenagers and kids smoking like they used to, but yes, apparently, it's coming back a little.

SHE actually thinks that the recent increase in anti-smoking ads are actually to blame for increased smoking in teens. Typical teenager argument, but she might actually be on to something.

I'm struggling with the messaging for my kids, who are much younger. I'm trying to discourage smoking without making it something cool and rebellious, which is a balancing act for sure.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Vaping has grown quite a bit here. Tobacco I think is on a decline. Japan made selling nicotine pretty difficult but vaping store just upped their other prices and give it away. Gov can't make it illegal as still too many smokers and the politicians would get voted out.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

When I was a smoker, a non-smoking ad on TV would remind me to pop outside for a cigarette.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I once told an aspiring politician that cigarette odors were the smell of freedom. I didn't and don't and don't expect to start, but you should be free to even if my assertion from 2 decades ago is no longer valid.

It isn’t freedom if your actions impair the health and/or comfort of others, it is selfishness.

It's probably because it's illegal to smoke in most places that you notice the smokers out more.

My state has been "smoke-free" since 2006, so people smoking outside more is nothing new.

I'm struggling with the messaging for my kids, who are much younger. I'm trying to discourage smoking without making it something cool and rebellious, which is a balancing act for sure.

I address everything from a risk/reward perspective - making it age appropriate, but not dumbing it down.

I struggle with this as well, but giving them all the information so they have the knowledge and confidence to make the decision for themselves when we're not around.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I haven't seen it, personally, but Seattle banned children a long time ago. And most of what I see people smoking in parks isn't tobacco.

There are no children in Seattle?

They're a rare sight in most of the city. We're surrounded by water so there isn't much land, we're packed in, rents are expensive. It's mostly younger professionals who haven't started a family yet living in the city core, people who value night life, walkibility, proximity to tech jobs, etc. Families with children tend to live on the margins of the city, or in the suburbs, where housing is cheaper. I'm sure this happens in all cities but the booming economy here and the lack of space put it in overdrive.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen it, personally, but Seattle banned children a long time ago. And most of what I see people smoking in parks isn't tobacco.

Is that legal?

Of course it is.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    In the UK cigarette boxes say stuff like "smoking kills" and "smokers die young" on them which tbh kind of makes it sound cool. If you buy your cigarettes legit though (unlike me - £10 a pack? Nah mate i can get them nearly half the price of that) then there is no branding just the name of the brand in a plain font and they have gross pictures of smokers lungs and stuff on them which I think is more of a deterrent.
    I only smoke when i drink so then it's only in night club smoking areas or the designated area outside my flat.
    However I know only a few young people who are full time smokers, but I know lots of people who would smoke on a night out.
  • lorriemb
    lorriemb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Seems pretty much the same as ever to me (down overall since some years ago, more visible in some ways since everyone forced it outside to specific areas). I see e-cigs more (which I find annoying because of the weird sweet cloud of smoke), but I assume that's people trying to quit, so good for them.

Sadly, I'm not sure most of them are. E-cigs and vaping have become especially trendy. I'd guess that as many people starting a nicotine habit via e-cigs as are kicking one. :(

The folks I know who vape don't use any nicotine in the liquid. At least that is what I was told when asking about vaping. All 4 of them are X cigarette smokers due to being able to vape. YAY for anybody who is able to quit a bad habit, regardless of the habit!
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I saw a strange thing happening around my workplace (this is definitely not a local but a social group effect): There used to be very little smoker standing outside some years ago, then it got a little more when vaping came around. Now vaping has gotten less and there are more "old school" smokers around than ever before. Maybe it is just normal fluctuation, but somehow I feel there have been more instances of people smoking at the bus stops lately. I am afraid that the acceptance of vaping subconsciously increased the acceptance of smoking somehow and people changed (back) when they got fed up with getting supplies (I think it is not as straightforward here than it is in other places) and maybe also with the tast but still were hooked to nicotine.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Seems pretty much the same as ever to me (down overall since some years ago, more visible in some ways since everyone forced it outside to specific areas). I see e-cigs more (which I find annoying because of the weird sweet cloud of smoke), but I assume that's people trying to quit, so good for them.

Sadly, I'm not sure most of them are. E-cigs and vaping have become especially trendy. I'd guess that as many people starting a nicotine habit via e-cigs as are kicking one. :(

This is true. 2 of my sisters told me they occasionally vape with nicotine. They have NEVER been smokers. I asked them Why they would do this. Their friends or spouse was doing it or they went to a Hookah Lounge. Why anyone would begin is beyond me. I just want to quit!
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it's making a comeback as much as more and more places don't allow it inside anymore so now this disgusting thing is outside, everywhere.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I rarely see or smell people smoking since I moved to Reno. It's a literal breath of fresh air after growing up in Las Vegas where smoking is prevalent. I was in a bar and asked my husband if Reno had a smoking ban, because there was nobody smoking in this packed out bar. Someone eventually lit up after we were there for over an hour. So, I think it depends on where you live. Smoking weed on the other hand is pretty common here. There's about a 50/50 chance as to whether that cloud of smoke is tobacco or marijuana.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Vaping is a rarity here still, I vape. Some people look at me while I'm walking down the street like I'm puffing on a crack pipe! Friends of ours actually thought it WAS a crack pipe when they first saw me and hubby using ours.

I see many teenagers smoking, i guess they still think it's cool :noway: How they can afford it, i do not know! I checked out the price of the tobacco (rollies) that i used to smoke the other day, and they are now $56 for a 50g pouch. A pack of 50 regular cigarettes is over $30 pack.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »

This is true. 2 of my sisters told me they occasionally vape with nicotine. They have NEVER been smokers. I asked them Why they would do this. Their friends or spouse was doing it or they went to a Hookah Lounge. Why anyone would begin is beyond me. I just want to quit!

As the mother of teenage sons, I can say vaping is ALL OVER the middle and high schools down here. And they are vaping nicotine. Why I don't know. But it's very, very big.

My 13yr old also just nicked one of his grandfather's cigars this past weekend. :angry:
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's indicative of more people smoking overall. I'd be inclined to think that more people are aware of the negative effects of smoking in closed spaces with their children or others around - less and less people seem to be smoking in their cars and homes or restaurants/jobs/bars (partly due to laws for businesses/workplaces) so they are more "out there" so to speak.