Replies

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Start running. Or pick a fitness goal and focus on that. When I finally quit for good that's what I did. I hacked my way through couch to 5k, lost weight and actually found a love of fitness. I used it as an opportunity to do all of the things that were difficult when I smoked. I was a heavy smoker and struggled to quit many times. With this approach quitting was actually really easy.

Also, if you haven't already, clean everything! You don't realize when you're a smoker, but you stink! All of your stuff stinks! Clean it all, soak in the lovely smell of "not smoke". Tell yourself that you are NOT a smoker, and rid your entire existence of everything smoke related. It's super helpful. Drink lots of water, chew gum and just find something to do. If you have the will for it, you will find a way.

This time around im going to make another gross jar of old smokes/ashes/water and smell it whenever im craving, Its actually an amazingly powerful tool lol. So disgusting the smell/look

Who knew, right? I sure didn't. It was a shock as time went on and I realized how offensive the odor was.

My mom is a heavy smoker, and I fight this battle all the time. It smells so bad - it causes so many arguments :(
  • mlh6468
    mlh6468 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As a former smoker (quit almost 7 years ago), there is no better thing you can do for your health, wallet, and social standing than to quit smoking. Anything is better than active drug addiction--call it what it is. Good luck and God bless, you can do it!
  • jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It's not just about appetite.

Nicotine increases your metabolism. Everything in your body works harder and faster when you smoke (heart rate etc). So when you stop smoking, your metabolism and body functions return to their normal pace.

You will need to trick your body into staying 'active'. Take 5 minute brisk walks every hour or so. Or run up a couple of flights of stairs every now and then. Have meals more often (in smaller quantities).

I quit smoking and started my weight loss in Jan of last year. I am - 40 lbs now, instead of gaining around 10 +.

YMMV.
  • geltner2
    geltner2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You've received some wise comments. Stopping smoking is number one for you. You've done it before so you can do it this time and it will be forever. Follow some of the good tips above and good luck. (former smoker)
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a smoke in 3 weeks and 1 day.

in the last 3 weeks I've gained 10 lbs.
    Up from 139 to 149 lbs

I quit at a super stressful time in my life.
    The first 2 weeks I ate everything.
    this 3rd week I've regained some control. Sitting at 144 today.

The key is recognizing you are over eating and making a decision to not do it.

chew gum, drink water, knit, do some pushups, clean, breathe deeply for the length of time it would take to smoke.

Being cigarette free is more important than weight maintenance.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    dudasd1973 wrote: »
    I took up vaping and slowly lowered the nicotine levels until I didn't need it anymore. That helped and allowed me to avoid any crazy cravings.

this is the route I'm taking. I started at 3% and am now at1%. I hope to be free of this in 9 weeks. I gave mtself a 3 month timeline.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    jaimydude wrote: »
    It's not just about appetite.

Nicotine increases your metabolism. Everything in your body works harder and faster when you smoke (heart rate etc). So when you stop smoking, your metabolism and body functions return to their normal pace.

You will need to trick your body into staying 'active'. Take 5 minute brisk walks every hour or so. Or run up a couple of flights of stairs every now and then. Have meals more often (in smaller quantities).

I quit smoking and started my weight loss in Jan of last year. I am - 40 lbs now, instead of gaining around 10 +.

YMMV.

Indeed smoking increases your metabolism. I read that if a person lowered their daily calorie intake by about 100-150, it should offset that. The recommendation of short bursts of exercise seems reasonable in offsetting any potential metabolism loss. I also read that a person would have to gain over 50 lbs to equal the harm done by smoking. I'm not throwing any stones here. After many, many attempts I understand how difficult it is to quit. I'm an X-smoker of 6 years (also a vapor.)
  • danny27greaves
    danny27greaves Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I turned quit smoking and I weigh less than ever before. Turn your negative addiction of nicotine into a healthy addiction and the weight will stay off.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking should be priority number ONE.
    Smoking will kill you faster than weight.

I quit 2 years ago after 20 years of heavy smoking. Gained a bit (I realised I was eating more but not smoking was a top priority) and 6 months later, when I no longer had cravings to curb with food, I started counting calories and started losing. I've lost 30lbs since. 10lbs to goal.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Hey, OP!

I quit almost three weeks ago! I upped my activity levels to compensate for the metabolism drop, and began a body weight routine this week. I'm maintaining the same calorie deficit. I lost a pound last week! This week, with the added water retention from starting the strength routine (and that lady time), I'm not even going to sweat what the scale tells me.

I feel GREAT! I smell great! Food tastes AMAZING!!! Cigarette smoke smells so rancid to me at this point, I'll not return. This is my fifth go at being a non smoker. Enough is ENOUGH!

YOU CAN DO THIS.

I believe in you.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I haven't had a smoke in 3 weeks and 1 day.

in the last 3 weeks I've gained 10 lbs.
    Up from 139 to 149 lbs

I quit at a super stressful time in my life.
    The first 2 weeks I ate everything.
    this 3rd week I've regained some control. Sitting at 144 today.

The key is recognizing you are over eating and making a decision to not do it.

chew gum, drink water, knit, do some pushups, clean, breathe deeply for the length of time it would take to smoke.

Being cigarette free is more important than weight maintenance.

Oh hey!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! We're almost New Non Smoker Twins!!

High five!
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pretty good! Not 100% smoke free yet, but I'm on my way. I've managed to not smoke at all pretty much all week. The weekend drinks go hand in hand with my cigarette, but I'm working on that. I am by far smoking way less then I did a few of weeks ago. I'm not going to sweat it too much. Rome wasn't built in a day! I'll get there.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was a heavy smoker pack to two a day for 15 years never thought I'd be able to quit,tried and failed several times and I used fear of weight gain as an possible excuse along other stuff.

Finally stopped over 3 years ago in UK you can use NHS for 12 week programme and I 've used Nicorette spray at early stages.
    Something just clicked at last as it doesn't matter what others say until you make a decision that you are done nothing else matters.

I love travelling so I 've put every week amount Id spend on smokes in a jar,went to Prague for 4 days 6 months later.

I haven't put any weight on when I quit I actually piled weight on over a year later by eating too much cake.

You can do it ,it was hard but I'm honestly not slightly tempted by them anymore and my quality of life has improved dramatically
    Plus I'm not a slave to smokes anymore.

Reece's peanut butter cups on the other hand :#