Spices and Seasonings

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
What are your most used spices and seasonings, anything they are great on?
I love and use these all the time..

-Smoked Paprika
-Cumin
-French Onion soup mix (some or all of the powder packet mixed with evoo rubbed onto brussel sprouts and cauliflower then roasted in the oven is delicious, you could use it for whatever veggies though)

I'm looking for some new ones though (maybe indian spices), what's your favorite?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Most used? Black pepper, garlic and cayenne because they are good on (and therefore go on) just about everything.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My most used are cumin, oregano, thyme, crushed red pepper, tumeric, cayenne, garlic powder, coriander, fennel, and chili powder.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    My most used are cumin, oregano, thyme, crushed red pepper, tumeric, cayenne, garlic powder, coriander, fennel, and chili powder.

What do you use the fennel seed on? Italian food?

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I am a spice fanatic....

cinnamon, onion powder, garlic powder, granulated onion, italian seasoning, Nosalt salt, truvia, nutritional yeast are among my favorites
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yeah -- tomato sauce, some soups, and sometimes with roasted vegetables. I also add it to the spices I use when I'm pickling vegetables like green beans or peppers.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    I am a spice fanatic....

cinnamon, onion powder, garlic powder, granulated onion, italian seasoning, Nosalt salt, truvia, nutritional yeast are among my favorites

I do like nutritional yeast, I forgot about it, Thanks!
  • Grimmerick
    Options

Yeah -- tomato sauce, some soups, and sometimes with roasted vegetables. I also add it to the spices I use when I'm pickling vegetables like green beans or peppers.

You know I bet it's good on Vegan Pizza's too
  • janejellyroll
    Options

You know I bet it's good on Vegan Pizza's too

Oh yeah, I always add it to the sauce when I'm making pizza!
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    I wanna try indian spices but I'm afraid I'll mess them up, seems like they can be more potent than others
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I wanna try indian spices but I'm afraid I'll mess them up, seems like they can be more potent than others

They can be a little tricky to get right sometimes, but the payoff is so worth it! I got started with using just a pre-made curry powder. A lot of people look down their nose at it, but the benefit of it is that it usually already has a pretty good balance. And honestly, I still use it some nights when I am in a hurry. Many recipes with curry powder (or Indian spices) will have you start by adding a bit and then tasting to see if you want more.

• Grimmerick
    Options

They can be a little tricky to get right sometimes, but the payoff is so worth it! I got started with using just a pre-made curry powder. A lot of people look down their nose at it, but the benefit of it is that it usually already has a pretty good balance. And honestly, I still use it some nights when I am in a hurry. Many recipes with curry powder (or Indian spices) will have you start by adding a bit and then tasting to see if you want more.

Hmm I'll have to look into this, I used Garam Masala and some other seasoning and really over did it. Sucked the moisture right out of my mouth
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm a Penzey's addict. In addition to lots of individual spices, I also like a lot of their mixes like Pie Spice, Green Goddess, Tuscan Sunset, etc. A friend of mine from Bangkok turned me on to Thai spice pastes. Our favorites are mussaman and tom kha. I probably have a hundred different flavoring things in the kitchen if you include all the herbs, spices, sauces, pastes, vinegars, wines, etc. -- but only two things in tonight's supper just for the flavor -- oven dried tomatoes and fresh basil.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ONE of my spice cupboards, lol. All my Indian spices are in ziplock bags on the top shelf. All told, I probably have over a hundred spices and spice blends. I have at least 20 kinds of Asian spice ingredients too, like fermented red bean curd and black beans. I like cooking!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    There's a place called "The Spice and Tea Exchange" I found while on vacation in Greenville, SC. Turns out they have several locations and of course a website. They were doing a buy 6 get one free promotion and begin a sucker for a deal, I picked out 7. Six were blends and one was smoked paprika OMG they are all amazing and I would highly recommend them especially if there's a store near you where you can go in a smell everything.

My absolute favorites are smoked paprika, crazy chicken and onion obsession which I put on just about everything. It's awesome on eggs. A little pricey maybe, but totally worth it for me.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It really depends. I'm working my way through a vegan cookbook, recipe by recipe, in order. I'm in the bean (and other legume) mains. So, right now, I'm doing dahls and using cumin, coriander, turmeric, cloves, salt, and pepper. I'd say salt and pepper are in just about everything, but otherwise it really varies.
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for Indian spices, be sure to get good ones; they make a world of difference. I get all of mine from relatives visiting me.

A lot of common spices are also used in Indian cooking:
    Chilli pepper - look for chilli powder; it's very different from 'peppers'
    Tumeric
    Cumin
    Garam masala
    Coriander
    Ginger
    Fennel
    Asafoetida - not recommended for beginngers as it is VERY pungent
    Cardamom
    Bay leaf
    Cinnamon - best if you can get real cinnamon
    Cloves
    Curry leaf - has to be fresh
    Fenugreek
    Garlic - depending on which part of India
    Mint/basil - though we tend to use a specific kind called Thulasi (Holy basil)
    Saffron
    Star Anise
    Tamarind
    Curry powder

I'm sure you've seen at least some of these used in other dishes. Just be sure to use a gentle hand on the rest.

(Sorry to take over the thread! I'm Indian (ancestors from India) so had to jump in.

As for my favourites:
    Garlic, garlic, garlic
    Rosemary
    Curry powder
    Chilli powder
    Paprika
    Chipotle

But really it depends on what I am making.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I have at least 50 different spices and I use them all the time. But if I had to pick only one spice to use for the rest of my life, it would have to be garlic powder :)
  • boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Cumin, Mrs Dash spices, pink salt, Club house spice mixes, Epicure spice blends. Turmeric and Curry powder
  • simonemaasie
    simonemaasie Posts: 28 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Garlic garlic and more garlic!!

Oregano, parsley, paprika, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, basil.

Pretty much anything except coriander. *kitten* i n g hate coriander !
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Most used? Black pepper, garlic and cayenne because they are good on (and therefore go on) just about everything.
    This for me too. Garlic powder and black pepper go on/in everything but my protein shakes or icecream... although...maybe...