Why am I gaining instead of losing weight?

Options
I had my wisdom teeth removed 2 weeks ago as of tomorrow. I assume I gained weight probably from trauma, water retention, and a lack of exercise during the first week. The last few days I've gone back to watching my calories and I'm still gaining weight. Should I be concerned or is this normal after surgery?

I gained all the weight that I lost last month and I feel unmotivated because of it.

Replies

• slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just get back on the horse and start fresh. I had my wisdom teeth out last year and lost weight the first couple weeks since eating was more of a pain in the butt than anything. I don't think having wisdom teeth out would cause enough water retention to cause an issue. did you eat more than normal? Maybe too much soft comfort foods like ice cream or puddings?
  • AshFitness98
    AshFitness98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    Just get back on the horse and start fresh. I had my wisdom teeth out last year and lost weight the first couple weeks since eating was more of a pain in the butt than anything. I don't think having wisdom teeth out would cause enough water retention to cause an issue. did you eat more than normal? Maybe too much soft comfort foods like ice cream or puddings?

I put everything into MFP (habit to log). I just looked back and there were a few days I went over MFP calorie count but not over my maintenance. The last few days I stayed under or within 50 cals of MFP.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Be gentle with yourself. Getting all four wisdom teeth taken out is a trauma that your body is healing from. I'm sure it will even out soon.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options

I put everything into MFP (habit to log). I just looked back and there were a few days I went over MFP calorie count but not over my maintenance. The last few days I stayed under or within 50 cals of MFP.

Are you using a food scale?
  • AshFitness98
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »

No I dont have one at home. I'm going to be buying one this weekend though
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options

You will really find it an eye opener. It really is the best weight loss tool.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Are you still on painkillers? They can cause water retention and constipation.

Beyond anything surgery-related, please also keep in mind that you won't consistently lose weight in a linear fashion. Everyone's weight goes up and down; it's the overall trend line that matters.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

No way to measure accurately without a scale. You need a scale.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I had my wisdom teeth removed 2 weeks ago as of tomorrow. I assume I gained weight probably from trauma, water retention, and a lack of exercise during the first week. The last few days I've gone back to watching my calories and I'm still gaining weight. Should I be concerned or is this normal after surgery?

I gained all the weight that I lost last month and I feel unmotivated because of it.

"watching my calories" really doesn't mean anything (I could "watch" 3000 calories go in quite nicely if I wanted to)...if you are not weighing your food you have no idea how much you are actually eating.
  • AshFitness98
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Are you still on painkillers? They can cause water retention and constipation.

Beyond anything surgery-related, please also keep in mind that you won't consistently lose weight in a linear fashion. Everyone's weight goes up and down; it's the overall trend line that matters.

I'm not on painkillers but I've been switching between 2 medicines every few hours and today is my last day taking them unless I actually need them. They had to cut deeper than expected so I've been taking a lot of medicine.
  • AshFitness98
    Options

"watching my calories" really doesn't mean anything (I could "watch" 3000 calories go in quite nicely if I wanted to)...if you are not weighing your food you have no idea how much you are actually eating.

Usually the stuff I buy is already portioned out but I see what you're saying. Thats why I'm going to be getting a food scale this weekend.
  • AshFitness98
    Options
    I guess I'm just going to take it how it is and keep going. Thanks for the suggestions
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Usually the stuff I buy is already portioned out but I see what you're saying. Thats why I'm going to be getting a food scale this weekend.

even preportioned stuff needs to be weighed out if you want to be accurate - packaged stuff can still be off by 20%
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My guess is the meds. Try to stay within your maintenance calories and don't worry about it, it will not last forever. I had to take meds recently and didn't lose 1 pound for the 2 weeks I was on them, while eating the same calories with the same exact activities usually loses 2 lbs/ week for me. It wasn't water weight, either, there was never a drop. While it's possible to restrict your calories enough to overcome the effect of any meds, it's not worth struggling while your body needs the calories to heal.
  • AshFitness98
    Options
    Turns out it was the meds. After I stopped taking them my weight dropped back to where it used to be and down a little more. Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I did buy a food scale as well!