Water weight gained from heat

Options
How do you southern folks cope with the water weight gained from the high temperatures? I just returned to upstate NY from being in Florida for 9 months. The last couple of months were very hot (not that I minded), but my ankles swelled horribly and I retained a lot of water. I watched my sodium, but it didn't seem to help much. Once I returned to NY and the cooler temperatures, the swelling disappeared. We're Snowbirds and will return to Florida in a couple of months where I will face the same issue again. Suggestions?

Replies

• Anniecro117
    Anniecro117 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tet hose, but that would be hard in the heat!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If your ankles get that swollen, I suggest you ask doc about next time you're there. Do you have any medical conditions known to cause water retention? The heat can exacerbate it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    Yeah, swollen ankles definitely needs to be looked at by a doctor.

I lived in Florida for 20 years and my ankles didn't swell.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    You can retain water from heat (and sunburn), but when I've done it, I've only put on maybe 1 kg.

Swollen ankles could indicate a blood clotting issue. Get it checked.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My ankles used to swell really badly in the summer when the humidity was bad. Since I lost weight, I no longer have that problem
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Agree with doctor check, but also try magnesium. 250 mg daily really helps me with water retention and bloating. Like, kinda changed my peri-menopausal life.