Healthy weight range

Options
Currently I weigh 187 lbs as a 5'6 male. I'm about to break out of the obese weight range and enter the overweight range. I want to be at a healthy weight, so websites suggest that I get down to 155. Im down to do it, I've lost a little over 50 already, so what's 30 more. My family has been telling me how skewed those charts are though and that it's not necessary to lose that much. Do you guys think that those healthy weight ranges are accurate? My next goal is going to be 155 and I think that's reasonable because I still do have fat on my body. I mean, I'm still technically obese right now. My family is just kind of grinding me down with telling me that I should be fine with losing just 10 more pounds. I'm kind of looking for reassurance that 155 is a nice healthy goal.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    I say it's your body and they can step off.

Seriously.

Tell them it's not open for discussion and then keep doing what you're doing to get to a weight you are happy about. Congrats on your loss so far. People just don't get it sometimes.
  • MikeEsko
    MikeEsko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do it for you. Get y9urself to the weight where you feel good both phisically and mentally. Those charts are skewed simplh because they dont take genetics or bmi into account. I know quite a few body builders and power lifters that are obese and theh are pure muscle, eat right, and have no known health problems.
    Btw, congrats on the 50 and keep up the amazing work!
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    issiahs wrote: »
    Currently I weigh 187 lbs as a 5'6 male. I'm about to break out of the obese weight range and enter the overweight range. I want to be at a healthy weight, so websites suggest that I get down to 155. Im down to do it, I've lost a little over 50 already, so what's 30 more. My family has been telling me how skewed those charts are though and that it's not necessary to lose that much. Do you guys think that those healthy weight ranges are accurate? My next goal is going to be 155 and I think that's reasonable because I still do have fat on my body. I mean, I'm still technically obese right now. My family is just kind of grinding me down with telling me that I should be fine with losing just 10 more pounds. I'm kind of looking for reassurance that 155 is a nice healthy goal.

A lot of people today are overweight and obese. This is what most of us think as "normal." In addition, you have been overweight for a while now, so they are used to seeing you that way.

You can stop these discussions if you don't offer information -- especially details like 10 pounds vs 30 pounds. People are just going to argue with you.

If you must say something, tell them "I'm working on getting healthier" and "It's between me and my doctor."
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    People's idea of a healthy weight is skewed. I know a lot of men who are 5'6" and weigh in the 140-155 range and look great. Some of them are shredded, some of them are just normal healthy looking guys, depending on their body fat %.
  • trulydivyn725
    trulydivyn725 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think you have to decide what YOU want to do, and throw out all the other "opinions" from the "experts" trying to "help" you...congrats on your success thus far!! I'm thinking that you need to do what I had to do...stand in front of a full length mirror every day butt naked and tell yourself you LOVE your body just how it is, but it can always be improved upon just as any other loving relationship can be...it wasn't until I started to truly love every inch of my body that I stopped sabotaging myself in the self defeating cyclone of loathing everything between the tops of my feet to the tops of my collarbones...

These people with their words of encouragement/advice/well meaning intent can gently be reminded this is your journey and YOU have to walk it...they're welcome to join you, but they have to walk beside you, not in front of you or behind you...beside you...this way they will understand they're commentary means nothing at the end of the day but for themselves to feel involved in your triumphs and successes...they want to be there with the first "I told you so" moment or "I've supported him since day one" recognition...thing is, you sleep in your own skin and you put your pants on all by yourself...so no one can take credit for what you've already accomplished but YOU!

KEEP GOING!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    All the above are worthy of re-reading and heeding.