1st 5k

How should I go by training for my 1st 5k, I'm not a runner. Any suggestions would help.

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    C25K.
  • BigNate17
    BigNate17 Posts: 65 Member
    How long do you have to train for it?

When I trained for my half-marathon I did 3 short runs a week and 1 long one on Sunday, then increased the duration for both each week.

Since you are a new runner you can try:

Week 1

Tuesday - 0.5k

Thursday - 0.5k

Friday -0.5k

Sunday 2km

Week 2

Tuesday - 1k

Thursday - 1k

Friday - 1k

Sunday 3k

Continue to increase weekly until you reach your goal. This template can be changed depending on how many weeks you have to train for your 5k. Or you can find a plan on-line if you don't like this one!

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I bought he C25K app but never used it. I was already farther along than what it started out with, and it felt like it was holding me back. What I did was run a mile 3x per week, then walk a mile home. Then on weekends I would run as far as I could, walk for a while, and run more, rinse and repeat until I hit about the 5 mile mark. I trained like that all last year, managed on weekends to hit 2 miles pretty easily without stopping. This year I've been doing the same routine, running a mile 3x per week, walking a mile home but I sprint every quarter of a mile as long as I can. Then on Saturday mornings I've been running a 5k and have managed to run the whole thing without stopping since spring. My best time is 33 minutes so far, which isn't spectacular, but I seem to be inching it down a bit each week.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    I just started ZenLabs C25K (free app). So far I am loving it. I agree that good shoes and taking it slow are important. Good Luck!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    I bought he C25K app but never used it. I was already farther along than what it started out with, and it felt like it was holding me back. What I did was run a mile 3x per week, then walk a mile home. Then on weekends I would run as far as I could, walk for a while, and run more, rinse and repeat until I hit about the 5 mile mark. I trained like that all last year, managed on weekends to hit 2 miles pretty easily without stopping. This year I've been doing the same routine, running a mile 3x per week, walking a mile home but I sprint every quarter of a mile as long as I can. Then on Saturday mornings I've been running a 5k and have managed to run the whole thing without stopping since spring. My best time is 33 minutes so far, which isn't spectacular, but I seem to be inching it down a bit each week.

Congrats on the progress but I honestly think your approach is holding you back. I suggest checking out 5k training plans from Hal Higdon or similar sites.

For the OP - Couch to 5K is a great way to start running. Resist the urge to run fast and don't do more than the plan suggests. You have to ease into running or you will end up injured or burned out.

Good luck.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I just started ZenLabs C25K (free app). So far I am loving it. I agree that good shoes and taking it slow are important. Good Luck!!

I have completed the program successfully and I also recommend the free app. Going to third (?) going to a running store and getting shoes. 100% worth the money. I went from having shin/knee pain to being completely pain free (besides you know, muscle fatigue from working out) with proper shoes. Take it slow, don't worry about speed, and have fun! Good luck :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    How should I go by training for my 1st 5k, I'm not a runner. Any suggestions would help.

Biggest suggestion is to try not to do too much, too soon, too fast. (+1 on getting fitted for running shoes)

Without knowing your fitness level and how long you have to train for the race my first suggestion would be to start with walking. When you can comfortably walk for 45 minutes or so continuously start adding some short, slow running intervals eg walk 9 minutes run 1 min then after a week or so walk 8 run 2 etc etc until you're able to run (slowly) 10 minutes continuously and then build from there. Do not, at least initially, run on consecutive days. Running requires considerable physiological adaptations and recovery time is when the adaptations occur (feel free to walk, swim, bike etc on non-running days)

I need to warn you though, 5Ks are a gateway race. The feeling you get crossing that finish line for the first time is indescribable (actually......the feeling never gets old) and after a few races your brain starts coming up with ideas of running faster, running further etc. If you train sensibly and progressively you will amaze yourself with what you can do.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    I bought the C25K app but never used it. I was already farther along than what it started out with, and it felt like it was holding me back.
    Then on Saturday mornings I've been running a 5k and have managed to run the whole thing without stopping since spring.

Obviously, whatever works for you works for you. Just want to point out that one of the advantages of a structured plan like C25K is that it's designed specifically towards achieving a goal. If someone's goal is "be able to run 5k without stopping," C25K got me there in 9 weeks.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 1,117 Member
    I need to warn you though, 5Ks are a gateway race. The feeling you get crossing that finish line for the first time is indescribable (actually......the feeling never gets old)

Very true.
  • fritch_gets_fit26
    fritch_gets_fit26 Posts: 40 Member
    edited August 2017
    lporter229 wrote: »
    allyphoe wrote: »
    C25K.

This. But two words of advice before you begin.

#1- Get fitted for proper shoes before you start. Ideally, go to a specialty running store and have them do a gait analysis to determine which type of shoe is best for you. Once you buy your shoes, wear them ONLY for running and nothing else. This will help to preserve the integrity of the shoe and give you the best overall support for your running.

#2-Go slow. Slower than you think you should. You should not get to a point where you are gasping for air.

Enjoy!

^^ This!

My husband and I are currently doing C25K and really love it, but I definitely agree about getting proper shoes and going slow. I got a great pair of running shoes and honestly I call my first week my "bouncy walk" week, because that was basically what I was doing lol. I really love the app, it's super simple...and honestly I love that it's only 3 days a week. So MWF I run and TTh we do strength training. I am also doing lots and lots of stretching, I have been told that's super important!
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    jumping on the C25K bandwagon. If you're not a runner and this is something you're working towards the C25K apps are really good. I use the Zombies, Run! App because they're fun, but I've heard a lot of great things about the zen labs app too. Get fitted for shoes - I've done three weeks in bad sneakers and am feeling the pain (new shoes will be here tomorrow).

Listen to your body. You may need to repeat a week. You may need two days off to recover between runs to start. Just keep going. Take active rest days.

There are a couple newbie running groups to check out too, especially a C25K group, that you might find helpful as well.

Good luck!!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Congrats on the progress but I honestly think your approach is holding you back. I suggest checking out 5k training plans from Hal Higdon or similar sites.

Thanks for the link I'll check it out. ;)
  • miraclechild7
    miraclechild7 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks everyone, for all of your suggestions. I'm now looking forward to my 1st 5k. Will b for my 50th birthday n November.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Before you start a C25K, can you walk for 1/2 hour without killing yourself? I know it says "Couch", but you should have a minimal level of fitness first.

As long as a 1/2 hour walk doesn't kill you, then go for it (but get proper shoes).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Thanks everyone, for all of your suggestions. I'm now looking forward to my 1st 5k. Will b for my 50th birthday n November.

You`re starting young! I was 53 when I ran my first, have fun!