Never thought I'd be a maintenance forum poster...

Options
So like most young women, sadly, I've always put myself into the "wants to lose weight" bin. But last week was so miserable that I snapped at a friend, and I just got tired of pushing myself so hard. I'm at a respectable 120 currently, and I'm working on body positivity/ acceptance.

So today I took a big step... and I set my calorie goal to maintenance (1490; you can imagine how miserable a deficit is). I'm hoping to use MFP to optimize nutrition and learn about my body before I decide to stop tracking. It's interesting for me to mess around with macros and micros.

I know I could push myself forever, but at some point I have to decide what's "good enough". I'm stepping away from the fitness blogs that emphasize physique, and from weight loss culture in general: I've tried vegan and paleo and cardio and no cardio and none of them were the silver bullet they were marketed as. And I have had it with the fat shaming on those things. I've decided to do something scary: stop restricting calories and let my body just run its course.

Did anyone else arrive here after moving on from weight loss (or gain) goals, even if you didn't reach your "goal weight"? Did you get disillusioned with bloggers and gurus peddling one-size-fits-all fitness and body-shaming? How is maintenance different for you from a deficit/surplus?

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I actually just caved in and reduced my goal amount of calories to the number MFP gives me for maintenance. It was 100 cals higher because I felt that my lifestyle without a car is not sedentary, but also not "lightly active" enough. I hope this helps me with actually losing some more body fat, but still not losing that much weight (if at all). It's all a balance. And I am having a bad day at it anyway.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    have you considered doing something else than cardio to be able to eat more or is that not one of your interests? I've been at maintenance before but had a baby and gained too much weight so losing it now.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    lol. Someone "woo"ed that? Alrighty then.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

I wanted to "woo" it as I've never "woo'd" a person on the forums. I just liked your "i'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it, people like me" comment.

Lol... I think of "woo" as a cheer but many people take it as a flag for bunk science, short for "woo woo". I'm surprised by the latter usage.
    noirelb wrote: »
    have you considered doing something else than cardio to be able to eat more or is that not one of your interests? I've been at maintenance before but had a baby and gained too much weight so losing it now.

I do lift and climb a few times a week, but my job is sedentary and my commute is comically short. I actually do great on maintenance, I just do terribly when I cut 1/3 of my calories to try to lose weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options

I wanted to "woo" it as I've never "woo'd" a person on the forums. I just liked your "i'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it, people like me" comment.

Well, thank you then. :flowerforyou:
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »

Lol... I think of "woo" as a cheer but many people take it as a flag for bunk science, short for "woo woo". I'm surprised by the latter usage.
    noirelb wrote: »

I do lift and climb a few times a week, but my job is sedentary and my commute is comically short. I actually do great on maintenance, I just do terribly when I cut 1/3 of my calories to try to lose weight.

Ohh I see! Well, congrats on your loss and I hope you strive at maintenance. My goal is actually higher than BMI because my healthy BMI makes me very thin and I have to eat so little and work out so much. Sometimes goals are a little to strong and I'm 110% sure you are healthy where you are now and hope you learn to love yourself more and more everyday and love maintenance!
  • geltner2
    geltner2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What does "recomp" mean?
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    geltner2 wrote: »
    What does "recomp" mean?

recomp refers to recomposition. It's the idea of adding muscle while eliminating fat by eating at maintenance and having a good lifting program. It's a slower process then bulking and cutting.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a really sound decision, OP! Lots of long time maintainers on MFP transitioned to maintenance short of what they thought was their goal. Some took several "maintenance breaks" (lasting several months) before deciding to go back in a deficit again to lose a few more. Some transitioned to GW maintenance to lose the last few reeeaaalllly slowly. There are many paths to success. It sounds like you could use a break, not only with respect to calorie deficits but also with respect to reframing what your goals are for you.

Just to respond to your last question about how maintenance is different... I lose at 0.5#/week or a 250 kcal daily deficit, so cutting & maintaining are very, very similar to me.
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi OP,

When I started this journey , I was very skeptical that I could lose weight. I was 250 (at 6 1). My initial goal was 230. When I kept losing, I adjusted my weight down and down. I decided to go for 185-which is just within the "normal" body weight.

Once I got to about 195, I stopped losing. I thought about lowering my calories (I lost on gross 1900-2000 per day. Usually 1650-1800 net. ). But I realized that I didn't think it would be sustainable.

As @middlehaitch says, a good weight is a weight that you can be happy with and can sustain.