Ketosis at 150 carbs a day

Options
Hello.
I am trying to follow what I think is a balanced diet (55% carbs, 20% fat and 25% protein) and eat 1200 calories. (I realize it might be low as calorie intake, but I have quite a sedentary life and I am only now starting some physical activity. And I have about 30 kg to loose. And I have been yoyoing all my life.). For the last 2 days I have discovered to be in ketosis (that weird taste in my mouth). Can anybody help me understand if it is ok and why this is happening? I am also doing whatever I can to keep the sugar intake below 50 g a day.
I am 40 yrs old, I weigh 106 kg.
Thank you in advance for your help and have a lovely day!

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should have your thyroids checked, also your glycogen levels, just to be safe.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Have you tested for ketosis or are you just going by the weird taste? The taste is not determinative on its own. You can buy urine test strips at the pharmacy to check for ketosis... If you are not eating low carb but have keytones in urine, it could be indicative of a heath problem and you should have it checked.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    vasilan wrote: »
    Hello.
    I am trying to follow what I think is a balanced diet (55% carbs, 20% fat and 25% protein) and eat 1200 calories. (I realize it might be low as calorie intake, but I have quite a sedentary life and I am only now starting some physical activity. And I have about 30 kg to loose. And I have been yoyoing all my life.). For the last 2 days I have discovered to be in ketosis (that weird taste in my mouth). Can anybody help me understand if it is ok and why this is happening? I am also doing whatever I can to keep the sugar intake below 50 g a day.

You weigh 106 kg and you're on 1200 calories? That's very strict and you probably won't be able to stick to it for long enough to lose much.

Deprivation diets don't work.

Also, that macronutrient ratio isn't low-carb. You also don't need to cut carbs to lose weight.

Read the stickies, and learn about sustainable eating for healthy weight loss.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads
  • askhokhar66
    askhokhar66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    vasilan wrote: »
    Hello.

You weigh 106 kg and you're on 1200 calories? That's very strict and you probably won't be able to stick to it for long enough to lose much.

Deprivation diets don't work.

Also, that macronutrient ratio isn't low-carb. You also don't need to cut carbs to lose weight.

Read the stickies, and learn about sustainable eating for healthy weight loss.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

Following strict calories regime is difficult, but that can done. I weighed 121 KG three months ago, and following a 1500 calories diet and exercise plan, I have reached 103 KG so far. I do careful planning about my diet and workouts and ensure diversity. My meals are interesting and delicious. I hope to maintain my progress.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A ketogenic diet is defined as being under 100g of carbohydrates a day.

It is HIGHLY unlikely you are in ketosis at 150g but without testing with ketostix and/or a blood glucometer, you do not know.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Careful with 1200 calories a day. I would starve and give into bingeing. Try 1400. I lost weight on a higher carb diet (good carbs). I want you to know that it's not about what diet you follow, but keeping under those calories. A calorie is a calorie, is a calorie. If you love that plain sweet potato - Have It!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    A ketogenic diet is defined as being under 100g of carbohydrates a day.

It is HIGHLY unlikely you are in ketosis at 150g but without testing with ketostix and/or a blood glucometer, you do not know.

I was always under the impression that around 20-50g of net carbs was the definition of a keto diet. 50-150g net carbs is usually just under the branch of "low-carb".

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
    Less than 50g/day for most people, better below 20g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet
    Wilder's colleague, paediatrician Mynie Peterman, later formulated the classic diet, with a ratio of one gram of protein per kilogram of body weight in children, 10–15 g of carbohydrate per day, and the remainder of calories from fat.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/what-is-ketosis#1
    For healthy people who don't have diabetes and aren't pregnant, ketosis usually kicks in after 3 or 4 days of eating less than 50 grams of carbohydrates per day.