Gluten Free Dairy Free cookbooks

Options
abungay
abungay Posts: 85 Member
Hi pals,

Just wondering if anyone could make some recommendations about a Gluten free cookbook? Ideally I having dairy free as well would be great but it isn't totally necessary since, I can always sub for non-dairy / Lactose free equivalents.

Replies

• elucke13
    elucke13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just bought this one. It had great reviews on Amazon, so I thought I'd give it a try. I just had some test results come back that I have a severe intolerance to gluten, dairy and eggs. So this should be an interesting new journey :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/162860042X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1DKTB3FGMXCS3&psc=1

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The Minimalist Baker Cookbook is mostly gluten-free, entirely dairy-free and I really like it.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Elanaspantry.com has fantastic recipes. I haven't looked at her Paleo Cookbook, but it's gluten free and dairy free and I assume the recipes are as good as the ones she posts on her website.

Glutenfreeonashoestring.com, same thing...great recipes on her website and has a cookbook I haven't used.

Glutenfreegirl Shauna Ahern has several cookbooks, and again, fantastic website recipes.

Ayearofslowcooking.com owner Stephanie O'dea has good cookbooks and good website recipes. I like her first cookbook, Make It Fast, Cook It Slow best, but all are good. I do not believe she markets herself as a gluten free cook, but all of her year of slow cooking recipes were GF.

Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook is gluten free and I think much of it is dairy free or has suggestions for dairy free substitutions. This is my most used cookbook.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You can typically make any recipe gluten free by exchanging regular flour for a gf flour.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    You can typically make any recipe gluten free by exchanging regular flour for a gf flour.
    No, you can't, usually. Gluten free flours don't have gluten in them so they behave very differently in recipes than wheat flour does. Gluten gives dough its elasticity. It also retains moisture and its structure helps give structure to food. You almost always have to adapt a recipe when using gluten free flours.

Sometimes, you can just use the recipe as-is. When making gravy or bechamel, just substitute sweet rice flour for wheat flour. Often times you can substitute exactly with a gluten free flour blend (commercial or homemade; I like 70% grain/30% starch; most probably prefer 60/40 or even 40/60) in cookie recipes with good results, but your cookies will dry out and crumble within a day. Adding an extra egg helps.

If you're talking pie crust or cake or bread, you can't use even close to a regular recipe.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I recently picked up "how can it be gluten free" by America's Test Kitchen. They have done a ton of experiments and sciencey stuff to recipes and have a lot of great options. GF flours are all so different and this is certainly helping me learn to bake again after my daughter's celiac diagnosis.
  • carrieonline
    carrieonline Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The Oh She Glows cookbooks are nice because they’re vegan (no dairy, egg or meat/fish) with most recipes being gluten free or providing alternatives to be gluten or grain free. There’s also lots of options to make nut, soy or oil free recipes.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No, you can't, usually. Gluten free flours don't have gluten in them so they behave very differently in recipes than wheat flour does. Gluten gives dough its elasticity. It also retains moisture and its structure helps give structure to food. You almost always have to adapt a recipe when using gluten free flours.

Sometimes, you can just use the recipe as-is. When making gravy or bechamel, just substitute sweet rice flour for wheat flour. Often times you can substitute exactly with a gluten free flour blend (commercial or homemade; I like 70% grain/30% starch; most probably prefer 60/40 or even 40/60) in cookie recipes with good results, but your cookies will dry out and crumble within a day. Adding an extra egg helps.

If you're talking pie crust or cake or bread, you can't use even close to a regular recipe.

Yes you can't I do it all the time since I am gluten free (due to allergies).
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Yes you can't I do it all the time since I am gluten free (due to allergies).

I have to agree with Tried- I find that I cannot make some of my recipes, because the flour does not translate properly. I find I cannot make a gravy for the life of me anymore, nor can I make something my mom called pudding, though is more like large baked dumpling (maybe similar to yorkshire pudding). And I am not going to start with baking, somethings work some things need to put in the trash as soon as it comes out of the oven, which is sad because it is usually really expensive to make gluten free stuff.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    glutenfreeonashoestring.com has a lot of recipes that are always gluten free and most of the time have subs for making dairy free and/or paleo (if that's your bag).

Some flours that sub well for a 1:1 for gluten flours are Better Batter and Cup4Cup. I use King Arthur if you need a gum-free GF flour.