Thai Cucumber Salad - quick, easy, low-calorie and healthy!

Options
toxikon
toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
edited August 2017 in Recipes
I made this last night and really fell in love so I thought I would share. :smile: It's a perfect combo of sweet, sour, spicy and fresh.

Ingredients:
60 mL (4 tbsp) Rice Vinegar
60 mL (4 tbsp) Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
2 Cucumbers, sliced
3 Stalks of Green Onion, chopped
3 Jalapeno Peppers, deseeded and sliced thin
1-2 cups Shredded Carrot

Simply toss all ingredients together and enjoy.

My recipe total came to 4 servings of 250g each. Each 250g serving worked out to around 130 calories.

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. I have all of the ingredients (overflowing with cucumbers right now), so i will probably try it this weekend with the curry i was planning to make. Thanks!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I made a very similar salad last night with a lot of the same ingredients, plus added a spiralized zucchini and chopped tomatoes. I also added a Tbsp of tahini, so that made it extra delicious!

I love summer salads!
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious, I'm definitely trying it! Thanks!
  • livaneah
    livaneah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great meal I can prep and take to the lake instead of a bag of chips!!
  • noirelb
    Options
    Oh wow...i just made this! It's great and my 14 month old likes it! (clearly swapped the jalapenos for lemon juice) and added edamame to make it a highe protein meal.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Glad to hear you liked it, @noirelb !

I'd recommend making this salad in small batches that you can finish within a day or 2. I brought some for lunch on the second day and the cucumber was beginning to get soft. Luckily it's so quick to make that it's not really a problem. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I want to try some Things food but feel really stupid about ingredients. Do most grocery stores carry rice vinegar and Thai chili sauce? Is the chili sauce spicy? Are like they most likely to be in the Asian food section? Is it true that if you seed the jalapenos they're not hot? At all? I really can't tolerate hot food. It just burns my mouth and I can't taste anything. TIA
  • noirelb
    Options
    1) in canada they are in every grocery store and if there is an asian section they will be there. But not sure where you are!
    2) thai chili sauce is barely spicy at the amount for the full salad but it's technically dried chilli flales in it. My baby ate it and didn't realise
    3) change the jalapenos for a little lemon juice...it's still somewhat spicy and some are more than others depending on the plant they come from so i wouldn't risk it!!
  • noirelb
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Thanks everybody! Glad to hear you liked it, @noirelb !

I'd recommend making this salad in small batches that you can finish within a day or 2. I brought some for lunch on the second day and the cucumber was beginning to get soft. Luckily it's so quick to make that it's not really a problem. :)

Yes that's true! I made it for my lunch and the bottom was full of water so there was less sauce. I just added more sauce when i got back home for dinner lol
  • lgonzo1
    lgonzo1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do a variation of this salad...using english cucumbers, Trader Joe's Taziki dip, raw onions, crushed garlic, dill weed, and celery seed. After slicing the cucumbers verrrrrrry thin, salt them lightly and let them drain in a colander. You can put a weight on them to press out the liquid. You can add the thinly sliced onions at this point too. Then add some crushed garlic and about two tablespoons of the dip.....If you don't have the dip, you can use low fat greek yogurt or non-fat sour cream. It is filling and cooling on these hot summer days.