What do you eat when you don't have much time to cook?

Options
I'm trying to find healthy ideas. I can only think of tuna or salads.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Cereal :laugh:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sandwich (usually PB & banana).
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If you don't need to worry about sodium: Frozen meals or canned soup. Sandwiches are also very quick to make.
  • jordandills
    jordandills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I keep quick prep meals or ingredients in my freezer and pantry. I can microwave riced or mashed cauliflower from frozen in <5 minutes. I keep progresso light canned soups in the pantry that heat in <5 minutes. If I have thawed chicken breasts those cook on the George Foreman pretty quickly, or I have some deli meats and sausages in the fridge that are quick to prep. In a real emergency I could have some jerky or a protein bar/shake for dinner that's 0 prep time. And as you said, salads are virtually no prep.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    How much time is not much? I can whip up a healthy balanced meal of a protein, vegetable & even a starch in about 15 minutes.
  • Juniper210
    Juniper210 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use a LOT of convenience products from Trader Joe's. One of my go to quick meals is frozen roasted potatoes with peppers and onions (6 min), frozen mahi mahi burger (10 min) topped with pesto, and some sauteed sugar snap peas (5 min). Works out to about 400 cals and it takes about 15 min max from start to eat.
  • havronab
    havronab Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My go to on a busy evening is a rotisserie chicken, a Dole chopped salad mix (they have some yummy combos like the sunflower seed crunch or BBQ ranch & I just go light on the dressing) & fresh berries. I just stop by the grocery store on the way home and throw it on the table. Zero effort required, feeds my family of 5 for about $10, and I get a good amount of protein, as well as a serving of veggies and fruit. And it is about 500 calories. Oh and it tastes good!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Prepackaged salad kits from the grocery store, Greek yogurt with fruit, cottage cheese with salsa, granola bars, those microwaveable cups of soup..... can you tell I don't have much time to cook? Lol

These are my favorite to go things lately: https://www.veggiesmadeeasy.com/our-products/nourish-bowls/
  • BellaMermaid96
    BellaMermaid96 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    How much time is not much? I can whip up a healthy balanced meal of a protein, vegetable & even a starch in about 15 minutes.
    I was wondering something to make in about 5 minutes if I didn't have anything prepared. It's for when I start school. I won't have much time between classes.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt with sliced banana and peanut butter
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    1 cup of lowfat cottage cheese and about 4 oz of pineapple?
    Protein shake?
    Zero-fat 100 calorie Greek yogurt?
    1 Fuji apple?
  • amandacalories
    amandacalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I work two jobs so I'm out and about from about 6 - 6:30am to 10 at night several times a week and this is something I find hard too. I try to buy a lot of fruit and veggies that you can grab and go with. Apples oranges pears baby carrots. I'll also premeasure nuts and things like that. String cheese. Protein shakes. It's obviously a good idea to food prep but it can be annoying. I'll make big salads that I can take for a few days or I'll make a pot of quinoa early in the week and add various things to it for different days (veggies, beans, tofu, fish).
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches, pasta, or leftovers make up most weeknight meals. Maybe grill a burger or something.
  • MikeEsko
    MikeEsko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I meal prep. I cook about 14 meals at once so i dont ever have to worry. Pop one out of the freezer and into the microwave. This helps me stay on my diet. If i am low or just want something else, it is eggs or q bag of frozen veggies.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I find things that cook well in the microwave. Salmon, frozen veg, lately I've been into Boar's Head buffalo chicken sausage. When Domino's comes out with their 50% off deal I get a couple of pizzas and freeze them, then nuke one slice at a time at half power. You can pre-boil eggs for a quick source of protein. I put them in salads at work.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Left overs... :) I usually make double recipes and if the hubs doesn't eat it all it's leftovers...