Scale Accuracy

Options
Yesterday when I stepped on the scale it read 129.9. I weighed myself again 1 minute later and it changed to 125.4. After the two differences, I weighed myself 2 more times and it kept coming up 125.4. Why would my scale fluctuate so much?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It may depend on which way you are leaning or a loose floor board. I'd take the weight I got twice.

Some scales do that. Others, like the one I have right now, seem to be stubborn. I'll weigh myself and then do a big dump. Now, you know that weighed something but my scale will show the same number as it's way of saying, "Why are you asking me twice in one day, you doofus?" Better than my old scale, which would go up in such situations. I've decided just to take the scale at it's word the first time.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have to "reset" my scale. To do this I just put a little weight on it with 1 leg (30ish pounds). If I don't do this, it seems like my scale doesn't work right.
  • Shawstew
    Shawstew Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Battery replacement time?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Tile or wood floor, carpet, even an uneven floor can cause all kinds of problems. Take it to a flat place?
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use mine on a tile floor. Definitely find a flat surface. I always test mine out first using an 8 pound weight. Then I normally weigh myself 3 times in a row to make sure it's right. Also, make sure batteries are fresh~!
  • thomascgentle
    thomascgentle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Scales are not the best judge of progress from what I found. I bought a Withthings scale which measures weight, body fat, water weight and some more and has an App that tracks it all. I don't really look at scales on a daily basis but rather on a weekly basis. Water weight, time of day, muscle density, etc. play a role. For example, I found that while working out with weights, the muscle mass tends to increase the weight so that is why it's good to measure the fat and muscle density. There is a new scale coming out that costs about $599 and will scan the entire body and provide measurements, etc. Using a caliper and doing measurements of arms, chest, waist, legs, hips, etc. on a periodic basis, in my opinion, give me a better idea of progress. I can really care less how much I way, I just want what I have to be firm and more muscular. Just my thoughts.