General endurance/fitness level of lifters

Options
I'm curious. I've always been told you have to train what you want to be good at, so if you want better cardio endurance, you have to do cardio. I always felt that my muscles were fairly strong but that I just couldn't keep up breathing for any type of strenuous cardio stuff. Seeing the increase in strength in just one month of a beginner lifting program, I'm starting to rethink that. Maybe my muscles were just too weak to keep up.

So I'm wondering, does strength training alone (heavy lifting with 8-10 reps) also increase general endurance? And I mean general fitness endurance like a long hike or ball hockey for example, not running a marathon or something that will obviously take dedicated training. Would love to hear any thoughts on this.

Replies

• se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    My endurance isn't great because I don't do cardio and when I do high volume lifting such as high reps and low rest period, I'm out of breath very easily, but I'm bulking and I don't like doing cardio so that's my own fault lol
  • sinead29
    sinead29 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Since i started lifting i cut back my circuit classes from 3 a week to 1. I lift 3 times a week but ive noticed since i started prioritising the weights my endurance for the circuit classes had dropped and i do struggle a bit more. However i much prefer weightlifting so its not an issue but i guess you cant have the best of both worlds!
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their input. I've always hated the gym because I kind of equaled gym with long boring cardio sessions that nearly killed me. I'm new to lifting, but so far I absolutely love it and for the first time in my life I'm actually looking forward to going. It's not a chore to go.

I guess I will need to find a cardio activity that I feel the same way about.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about balance and your current goals. Kinda like gaining strength while cutting, it's not really possible for anyone beyond novice level. So if you're lifting hard and heavy and trying to also train for endurance, something is going to suffer, probably both. LISS is probably your best bet for cardio; walking, hiking, easy biking, maybe some yoga. Lots of people also incorporate prowler work into their lifting program, which depending on how you use it, can improve; strength, speed, power, conditioning, or combinations of those.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    me0231 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for their input. I've always hated the gym because I kind of equaled gym with long boring cardio sessions that nearly killed me. I'm new to lifting, but so far I absolutely love it and for the first time in my life I'm actually looking forward to going. It's not a chore to go.

I don't think there are any fun cardio activities to be perfectly honest :tongue:
  • me0231
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

I don't think there are any fun cardio activities to be perfectly honest :tongue:

Haha you're probably right. I'm not going to worry about it just yet, I don't want to pile on too many things at once. For now I'll keep lifting and losing the rest of the padding. Maybe incorporate some more LISS as suggested above but more to keep active rather than a strict program.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Are there no sports you enjoy?
    Or get outside......
    This is my idea of fun cardio.
    rk13hs31wtho.jpg

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Interesting article from Mike Robertson on cardio:

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/long-duration-low-intensity-cardio/#
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

I was going to say swimming, hiking, playing with kids, @cwolfman13 as already listed them
  • me0231
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm so sore from my last set of squats that I won't be doing much today or tomorrow but I think it's a good goal to implement some LISS training on my rest days. Maybe if I don't need to kill myself with a crazy hard cardio session I won't mind it either.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I would argue that lifting does give you a solid endurance base.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You can always do HIIT with kettle bells or a complex session. Best of both worlds. Working in a hypotrophy phase into your strength training is good too. A la juggernaut system
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I can go out and run a 5k in under 25 minutes with out much effort and I only strength train. I guess it depends on what you consider good enough cardio endurance.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm so sore from my last set of squats that I won't be doing much today or tomorrow but I think it's a good goal to implement some LISS training on my rest days. Maybe if I don't need to kill myself with a crazy hard cardio session I won't mind it either.

I feel like this all the time. My priority is 3 good strength sessions per week. Most of my cardio is walking, so LISS. I also do some run/ walk intervals when I have the 2 days in a row off from strength. I also agree that some of my strength training has a cardio benefit to it. As an example, it's like doing sprints when I do 3 sets of 8 power cleans. Killer!!

Also, I am only concerned with so much cardio benefit. I have a reasonable v02 max, low 40s, and I am not into endurance sports like running. So, really just enough for overall health.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Interesting article! I was happy to discover that I'm doing something right with my lower impact cardio. My RHR is 54. Not bad for a guy on the wrong side of 65. ;)
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try HIIRT - high intensity interval resistance training. Basically, between weight lifting sets, instead of sitting there doing nothing, you do 1 minute of HIIT type cardio. Like, a minute of skipping rope or box jumps or throwing a medicine ball, etc etc. The point is to get your heart rate elevated so that weight lifting sessions also have cardio benefits. You kill two birds with one stone.