New MFP user/maintenance goals

bmg7754
bmg7754 Posts: 6 Member
edited August 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hello,
I've been researching this a lot and can't figure out if I'm correct or not. I'm a 32M. Im right around 205 now and 6'3" tall. I'd like to maintain this weight but the amount of calories seems like a lot. I do 30-45 minutes of cardio a day and 4 days of lifting. Crossfit type. Deadlift, squat, cleans, pull ups, clean/press that kinda thing. Does 3045 calories seems appropriate? I've recently lost about 25lbs and think I'm having a mental issue with upping my calories. Macros are 366C 204P 85F.

Thanks for the help

Replies

• BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    How much were you eating when you were losing weight?
  • bmg7754
    MrsBeccaM5 wrote: »
    How much were you eating when you were losing weight?

I wasn't counting macros then and was eating a lower carb diet. I realized it was awful and made a switch to macros. The last month I switched to macros and I was around 2000-2200 calories or so a day but, I wasn't doing cardio and only weight training the 4 days.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    You realise the goal on here is plus exercise calories I assume?
    So 3045 + exercise calories.
    Or did you get your number from a TDEE site?

You can work out your own TDEE by adding up all your calories eaten for last 4 weeks, add 3500 for each pound lost, divide total by 28.

In the end you will have to pick a number, try it for an extended period and adjust if required.

You also know what level you ate to lose your weight so the speed of that weight loss gives you a good guide to your maintenance levels - hopefully that should give you the mental/emotional confidence to trust the numbers.
  • bmg7754
    sijomial wrote: »

You can work out your own TDEE by adding up all your calories eaten for last 4 weeks, add 3500 for each pound lost, divide total by 28.

In the end you will have to pick a number, try it for an extended period and adjust if required.

You also know what level you ate to lose your weight so the speed of that weight loss gives you a good guide to your maintenance levels - hopefully that should give you the mental/emotional confidence to trust the numbers.

I used a TDEE calculator and then imported my numbers to this app. I don't add exercise in to this, just try to hit my macros and remain active. Thanks for the tip. I think after losing weight I'm nervous to gain it back.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    bmg7754 wrote: »

I used a TDEE calculator and then imported my numbers to this app. I don't add exercise in to this, just try to hit my macros and remain active. Thanks for the tip. I think after losing weight I'm nervous to gain it back.

Then a TDEE of 3045 for your size and activity doesn't sound at all high to me.

It does get easier with time, look for the weight trend and ignore the fluctuations. It can take a while (months) - my maintenance level ended up higher than I expected. (Yay!!)

Many people set an acceptable weight range for maintenance but I prefer just an upper "intervention level" that triggers me to react to my weight persistently trending upwards. That's my safety net so I don't let things slip.
  • bmg7754
    edited August 2017

[/quote]Then a TDEE of 3045 for your size and activity doesn't sound at all high to me.

It does get easier with time, look for the weight trend and ignore the fluctuations. It can take a while (months) - my maintenance level ended up higher than I expected. (Yay!!)

Many people set an acceptable weight range for maintenance but I prefer just an upper "intervention level" that triggers me to react to my weight persistently trending upwards. That's my safety net so I don't let things slip.[/quote]

Ah great tip. The weight fluctuations are certainly hard to deal with. Thanks for the advice! I never thought maintaining weight would be more of a mental challenge than losing...
  • BeccaLoves2lift

Many people set an acceptable weight range for maintenance but I prefer just an upper "intervention level" that triggers me to react to my weight persistently trending upwards. That's my safety net so I don't let things slip.

That's a great idea.
  • BeccaLoves2lift

Many people set an acceptable weight range for maintenance but I prefer just an upper "intervention level" that triggers me to react to my weight persistently trending upwards. That's my safety net so I don't let things slip.[/quote]

Ah great tip. The weight fluctuations are certainly hard to deal with. Thanks for the advice! I never thought maintaining weight would be more of a mental challenge than losing...
    [/quote]

It is hard, I'm trying to figure out my daily allowance as well.
  • bmg7754
    Update: Im fortunate to work with dieticians and I spoke to the lead today and she actually said I need 3300 kcals! She broke it down as 495C 165P 74F. I'm a Registered Nurse working in nephrology so, she feels that high protein is detrimental to kidneys, which it is but, she was ok with me upping my fat and decreasing my carbs in place. Very interesting...