fruit sugar vs white sugar...

Options
124»

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know why it matters so much, read these articles.

Fructose, Heart Disease and Erectile Dysfunction
    http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Fructose_Erectile_Dysfunction.aspx

Fructose and Weight Loss
    http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Fructose_Weight_Loss.aspx

Inflammation and Health
    http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Inflammation_Health.aspx

But sugar is just sugar, right? If only it were that simple.
    Any citations from outside this particular, singular site with a clear agenda behind their "studies?"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Allright folks, lets get ready to ruuuuuummmmmmbllllle! JK ...

I have seen this a lot in the threads lately, and thought I would throw it out there for a discussion..

I see a lot of people saying that it is OK to eat sugar from fruit because that is "good", but that you should not eat sugar from candy bars, white sugar, etc, because that that is "bad"...

This always sparks my immediate question, which is "how does your body distinguish between sugar from a blueberry and sugar from a candy bar? My basic understanding of chemistry (very basic lol) is that when you take sugar down to its chemical make up, fruit sugar and any other sugar all look the same...

So I will come back to my original question..when I eat a blueberry, does my body really say 'oh, this is a blueberry its good sugar,don't store as fat"; conversely, when I eat a candy bar my body says "uh oh, this is bad sugar store as fat"...

I dont really think it works that way, but I am not sure...

so what do you all think ....

:huh: almost 5k posts and *this* is the question you post? :sick:

if it bothers you so much why even come in and comment?
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    If your eating an orange that has the same amount of sugar as a piece of caramel, well of course the orange is going to be better for you.
    Caramel - butter, cream, sugar.
    Orange- fiber and vitamins.

Its all the other crap in food that people are not taking into account. Stop having sugar tunnel vision and look at food as a whole.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    If your eating an orange that has the same amount of sugar as a piece of caramel, well of course the orange is going to be better for you.

Its all the other crap in food that people are not taking into account. Stop having sugar tunnel vision and look at food as a whole.
    There's quite a few nutrients in butter and cream not found in an orange and I certainly wouldn't call it crap.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    This always sparks my immediate question, which is "how does your body distinguish between sugar from a blueberry and sugar from a candy bar? My basic understanding of chemistry (very basic lol) is that when you take sugar down to its chemical make up, fruit sugar and any other sugar all look the same...

And that's where you're missing the point. Sugar from fruit is "packaged" much differently from pure granulated sugar. Sure, once the sugar in fruit is finally digested and metabolized, then it's the same thing. But that doesn't happen instantly. It's the process that's important. Fruit from sugar is digested and absorbed relatively slowly (and comes with lots of fiber). Whereas pure sugar is quickly absorbed, and will therefore give you a spike in your blood sugar, which then leads to a spike in insulin, which then leads you getting hungry again 20 minutes later. It's much harder to overeat fruits than highly processed foods with added sugar.

If you're keeping careful track of your calories and never have any issues overeating, then choosing processed foods over fruit will only cause you to lose out on the fiber, anti-oxidants, vitamins, and other micronutrients. However, most people don't spend their entire lives carefully logging every single piece of food they eat.
  • neanderthin
    Options

And that's where you're missing the point. Sugar from fruit is "packaged" much differently from pure granulated sugar. Sure, once the sugar in fruit is finally digested and metabolized, then it's the same thing. But that doesn't happen instantly. It's the process that's important. Fruit from sugar is digested and absorbed relatively slowly (and comes with lots of fiber). Whereas pure sugar is quickly absorbed, and will therefore give you a spike in your blood sugar, which then leads to a spike in insulin, which then leads you getting hungry again 20 minutes later. It's much harder to overeat fruits than highly processed foods with added sugar.

If you're keeping careful track of your calories and never have any issues overeating, then choosing processed foods over fruit will only cause you to lose out on the fiber, anti-oxidants, vitamins, and other micronutrients. However, most people don't spend their entire lives carefully logging every single piece of food they eat.
    Who eats just pure refined sugar. Anytime we eat combinations of food the GI of that meal is skewed and make the GI of any food inconsequential. Also an insulin spike is about the load, not the ingredient.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Allright folks, lets get ready to ruuuuuummmmmmbllllle! JK ...

I have seen this a lot in the threads lately, and thought I would throw it out there for a discussion..

I see a lot of people saying that it is OK to eat sugar from fruit because that is "good", but that you should not eat sugar from candy bars, white sugar, etc, because that that is "bad"...

So I will come back to my original question..when I eat a blueberry, does my body really say 'oh, this is a blueberry its good sugar,don't store as fat"; conversely, when I eat a candy bar my body says "uh oh, this is bad sugar store as fat"...

I dont really think it works that way, but I am not sure...

so what do you all think ....

:huh: almost 5k posts and *this* is the question you post? :sick:

if it bothers you so much why even come in and comment?

tumblr_mpus599i161s1dbhwo1_500.gif
  • ahamm002
    Options

Who eats just pure refined sugar. Anytime we eat combinations of food the GI of that meal is skewed and make the GI of any food inconsequential. Also an insulin spike is about the load, not the ingredient.

Tons of people eat processed foods that are nothing more than just a bunch of quickly digested carbs and sugar. And yes, insulin spikes are variable depending on the type of food. While the area under the curve may be similar b/w sources, the shape of the spike is also a factor in hunger.
  • ahamm002
    Options

If take vitamin C, fish oil, etc and have sugar with my morning coffee does that then put it on par with fruit sugar because I am taking additional nutrients? But then somehow if we eat dark chocolate that is good sugar because there are additional antioxidants in dark chocolate, as opposed to eating a Hershey bar, which would be "bad"... Seems like a strange argument to me...

Diets that are naturally rich in vitamins, fiber, micronutrients, etc., are well known to be linked to many health benefits. Whereas, practically every study looking at vitamin pills and other micronutrient supplements has shown either no benefit or negative health consequences.

So no, your vitamin C and fiber pills won't work. The active ingredient in fruits and veggies is . . . fruits and veggies. It's really not that surprising since mammals have been eating tons of fruit for millions of years.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options

There's quite a few nutrients in butter and cream not found in an orange and I certainly wouldn't call it crap.

Yes, you have a point there. I eat butter and have heavy cream in my fridge at all times. I'm self taught baker and starting my own business at the beginning of the year so I am not a stranger sweets. If made right and eaten in moderation, they are acceptable parts of a diet.
    I guess caramel was a poor example. Okay, lets say laffy taffy vs an orange. Chemicals, dyes and sugar. Yup. Thats a good one ;)
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    IMO, sugar is sugar.

Fructose, sucrose, natural, refined, whatever.

I just PREFER fruit & raw natural sweeteners.

I'm more focused on balancing out the GI of all sugars in general.

I personally think sugars should be enjoyed in moderation *shrug*
  • neanderthin
    Options

Yes, you have a point there. I eat butter and have heavy cream in my fridge at all times. I'm self taught baker and starting my own business at the beginning of the year so I am not a stranger sweets. If made right and eaten in moderation, they are acceptable parts of a diet.
    I guess caramel was a poor example. Okay, lets say laffy taffy vs an orange. Chemicals, dyes and sugar. Yup. Thats a good one ;)
    LOL.....I get your point. Good luck in your business endeavors.
  • oersta
    oersta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between "white" sugar which is a disaccharide and "fruit" sugar which is a monosaccharide. Fruit sugar can be broken down and used by the body directly whereas white sugar must be converted by the body to monosaccharides first (or stored) There are also polysaccharides which include starches etc. The following link may prove helpful. http://www.ivy-rose.co.uk/HumanBiology/Nutrition/Types-of-Sugar.php:smile: