ecasperlk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    LeeAnn254 wrote: »
    Congrats on cutting out the cigs!!

Thanks!
  • ecasperlk
    Options
    You really need to see a doctor and get a blood/chemical panel done. That along with a complete physical to know exactly what's going on with your body. Congrats on quitting smoking, I'm sure all those years of smoking caused some issues but your correcting it so that's a plus. My t level was really low and now I'm getting testosterone injections. My strength and gains/recovery has greatly improved.

Thanks! I also do believe that I need to get it checked but it can wait on the wishlist for a while at the moment. Are those dietary t pills going to do any good?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    ecasperlk wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Are you using a lifting program or just doing whatever lifts you feel like doing that day?

If you aren't using a program, I suggest you do. Stronglifts 5X5 is an awesome beginner program. Here's a whole list of programs to choose from.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This. And you aren't going to gain muscle on 1500 calories.

Thanks but I don't want to gain fat either. What do you suggest? What my options are?

1 hour of serious lifting (where you end up shaking by the end of each exercise, and sometimes end up going to complete failure) burns about 1000 calories! If you're only consuming around 1500-2000 calories a day, you simply do not have enough fuel to build muscle. You need to eat more! And you need to eat good food, lean protiens, complex carbs and fresh veggies.
  • ecasperlk
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Are you using a lifting program or just doing whatever lifts you feel like doing that day?

If you aren't using a program, I suggest you do. Stronglifts 5X5 is an awesome beginner program. Here's a whole list of programs to choose from.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This. And you aren't going to gain muscle on 1500 calories.

Thanks but I don't want to gain fat either. What do you suggest? What my options are?

1 hour of serious lifting (where you end up shaking by the end of each exercise, and sometimes end up going to complete failure) burns about 1000 calories! If you're only consuming around 1500-2000 calories a day, you simply do not have enough fuel to build muscle. You need to eat more! And you need to eat good food, lean protiens, complex carbs and fresh veggies.

After listening to many of yours advices, I realized that I need to increase my daily calorie intake. I'm still waiting to see the new result of my bench press performance later in the day today. Thanks!
  • ecasperlk
    Options
    After bumping my daily calorie intake, today was the first day I did bench press. Unfortunately I still don't see a progress. I couldn't press 10kgx2 with 6 reps for 4 set.
    I'm not sure if it was something internal that causes the weakness. I had a shoulder cartilage problem 12yrs ago.
    What else I can think of?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am a woman and I also have weak little girly arms. Strength comes from progressing from where you are. Has there been any improvement from where you started?

Also consider that some health improvements take up to eight months to show up after quitting smoking.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

Legs are naturally stronger as they hold up your body all day. Those thigh muscles are big for a reason!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    After bumping my daily calorie intake, today was the first day I did bench press. Unfortunately I still don't see a progress. I couldn't press 10kgx2 with 6 reps for 4 set.
    I'm not sure if it was something internal that causes the weakness. I had a shoulder cartilage problem 12yrs ago.
    What else I can think of?

I've got one bad shoulder and my bench presses are terrible. Someone suggested incline press as being easier on the shoulders and it does seem to be helping - my bad shoulder feels overall stronger after a month. How do you feel when you fail? When I fail because of my shoulder I can definitely tell, I can feel that one side is collapsing and that my shoulder is the problem.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    A few years ago I had a personal trainer with the goal of increasing muscle. At the time I was about 61-62 years old and weighed about 130 lbs. Much of those 130 lbs was fat. Anyway, my personal trainer informed that there were stages in increasing muscle. The first stage was creating muscle fibers. That involved a sufficient weight to induce fatigue at about 15 reps. The second stage was enough weight to induce fatigue from 8-10 reps. The 3rd stage was finally a heavy weight with only 4-6 reps to fatigue. My opinion (and I'm no expert) is that if you're lifting to failure, no matter what the weight, you will progress in strength and muscle.

PS - I'm female