Losing My Focus after Wedding

Options
I got married about 2 weeks ago, and I kept my motivation and focus for several months and lost 60 pounds before the wedding. Any time I wanted to skip a workout or overeat, I thought of the wedding and how I wanted to look and feel on that day. It kept me on track.

Now that the wedding is over, I feel like I have lost my focus! I still want to lose weight, and I have about 20 pounds to go. I don't want to gain this weight back. I'm just trying to get my head back into this and get my drive back. I figured posting here and getting support (and tough love) would help, even if it's with a kick in my rear!

Replies

• adkhiker63
    adkhiker63 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Take it from this newlywed. I got married last September 2016 and I've gained 20lbs since then! I had lost for the wedding and gained more back. Get your butt moving lady! You can do this!
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This was me!! Don't do it! I gained all my weight back. My 4 year anniversary is next week. My Husband is great but I am not happy with myself. One thing I've learned is that I need to take care of myself. Bad days happen. Even bad weeks. Don't look back. Look forward. Your wedding isn't the reason. The reason is your health and well being. Once you start a workout or log one meal, it creates momentum. Perhaps, you can award yourself with something you have been wanting when you lose another 5? New shoes? :)
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Thank you, adkhiker63 and goalpeace! And I like the idea of setting a reward for losing another 5 pounds. :)
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    goalpeace wrote: »
    Your wedding isn't the reason. The reason is your health and well being. Once you start a workout or log one meal, it creates momentum. Perhaps, you can award yourself with something you have been wanting when you lose another 5? New shoes? :)

This this this! You had a big motivator so now you need to find something else. Are you journaling - not just food, but the day to day ups and downs?

look at everything you've done so far too - you have had some awesome success so you know you can do it! Keep kicking butt! :smiley:

• enyagoboom
    Options
    (Also - just like a wedding is not the marriage itself, getting healthy is not just about the weight loss: Both marriage and health take a ton of work - go big picture and then get into the details!!)
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Options
    enyagoboom wrote: »
    goalpeace wrote: »
    Your wedding isn't the reason. The reason is your health and well being. Once you start a workout or log one meal, it creates momentum. Perhaps, you can award yourself with something you have been wanting when you lose another 5? New shoes? :)

This this this! You had a big motivator so now you need to find something else. Are you journaling - not just food, but the day to day ups and downs?

look at everything you've done so far too - you have had some awesome success so you know you can do it! Keep kicking butt! :smiley:

I don't keep a journal, exactly, but I write in my blog a few times a week. It's been a great source of support for me.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You highlight the flaw in setting your weight loss goals based on an event. What happens once the event is over? It's the same thing that will happen once you reach your final weight loss goal. The "event" will be over and you'll be "done" losing weight. Now what do you do?

I'm not picking on you. Pretty much every one of us has done this very thing. I get it.

As far as advice, maybe instead of continuing on your current weight loss plan, you can begin a new one that starts today. Instead of your goal being targeted to a particular date or event you can make your ultimate goal be something to do with learning how to eat so that you can maintain your weight at the end? I don't know what that might look like, but it's a different way of thinking about your weight loss. I think ultimately that's what needs to be adjusted so you can have a really good shot at long term success.
  • enyagoboom
    Options
    that's awesome. and seriously 60 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. you can totally do this.

Also, have you tried physically picking up 60 lbs? like, in weights or bags of potatoes? I feel like some physical understanding of what you've lost might help motivate you too!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Just keep as tight with logging food and as exact with doing exercise as you were before the wedding. These are skills you'll need after each baby.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Could you at least try maintenance until you are ready to lose again? I don't know how much your life has changed since you got married but it might be that you need some time off before you tackle the next 20 lbs. As everybody said, whatever you do, just don't gain back! Keep on logging. Don't make your work harder a few months/years down the road when you are ready to start again.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! I like the idea of a new plan that starts today, sort of like Phase 2, ha ha. I am actually just getting ready to do my first Insanity Max workout (I finished Insanity right before the wedding), and it's a 60-day workout schedule, so that should give me something to focus on, as well as some routine and structure.
  • krushal8880
    krushal8880 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's true! This is a life journey and you need friends to encourage you on your lifetime fitness. Add me if you like and I can help. Good luck! :)
  • JTlivez
    JTlivez Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Motivation will always keep you straight. I try to at least log in once a day. :smile: