Anyone Else Get Bloated After Intense Workout?

Options
I was, back in 2013, incredibly fit, training a few hours per day, in both cardio and weights and then I stopped for the best part of three years due to depression, medication and other factors.

I started cycling again 7 days ago, and finally dragged myself back to my old gym today. I did 55 minutes of intense interval cardio on the cross trainers and bike. This is nothing compared to what I did in the past but I noticed I started to feel incredibly puffy an hour or so later and even my belly is bloated. I don't remember this being an issue in the past, although maybe I was less sensitive back then. Even my underwear elastic feels uncomfortable tonight and it is driving me nuts (I am Autistic Spectrum so more sensitive to changes in sensation)

I want to ask how long this will take to go back down and why it is happening when all I did was some cardio, basically. I usually only ever really puffed out when I did weights in the past and then it was mostly my arms.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    How do you feel otherwise? HIIT bike intervals in people who aren't used to them can sometimes cause rhabdo. If your pee is a normal color, it's probably just your muscles retaining water for repairs and will take a couple days. Have you done anything else like diet which could cause you to retain water?
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Oh my gosh!! Legit me,just now after an intense walk of pushing two heavy toddlers, ages 3 ,and 4, in a double stroller for the 3 time this week, 60 minutes each time , I got extremely uncomfortably bloated , and I always take water with me and drink along the way. Why does this happen??
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    How do you feel otherwise? HIIT bike intervals in people who aren't used to them can sometimes cause rhabdo. If your pee is a normal color, it's probably just your muscles retaining water for repairs and will take a couple days. Have you done anything else like diet which could cause you to retain water?

I feel fine other than tired and as said, puffy. My food has been pretty par the course for me, although admittedly, I only had a natural cereal bar prior to exercise. I have been mostly eating chicken, vegetables, fruit, greek yoghurt, nuts, seeds, ryvita and these dried chickpeas I used to snack on in the past. I have just recently started cleaning up my diet. I don't have weight to lose, the contrary according to my ex trainer.

This didn't happen with normal outdoor cycling. Just tonight after this gym session. I also have COPD but I doubt that makes a difference beyond the fact I have to deal with being breathless during exercise regardless of my fitness levels.