Muscle soreness?

Options
Has anyone got remedies for muscle soreness after a workout? I worked my arms and abs yesterday and my arms and chest area is soooo sore it hurts to just do things at work. Any solutions to reduce this? Dont wanna die at work tomorrow either

Replies

• aribel95
    aribel95 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I heard drinking chocolate milk after a workout can help prevent sore muscles the next day, I also heard taking cold showers are good for sore muscles. When I have sore muscles it feels good to stretch and massage them.
  • bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Only way to temporarily reduce it is to warm up the area, other then that eat enough food to recover properly.
  • cowgirl6229
    cowgirl6229 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The soreness you feel is from micro-tears you created in the muscles that you worked. The only thing that is going to ease your discomfort is time. Getting blood flow to the muscles can aid in the repair process, so I suggest doing some dynamic stretches (do a Google search to find muscle specific stretches).
    Use this as feedback for future workouts. By the sounds of it, you may have pushed it a bit too hard in the workout. While pushing yourself is great, it will slow your progress if you are not able to properly recover in time for your next workout.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into foam rollers...they do help.
  • sewbank2934
    sewbank2934 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    To be honest it won't last, as you muscles get use to it they won't hurt as much and then almost not at all. If you haven't trained for a while you first session will feel really easy and then the day after you are like what your like now. Drinking or eating more protein helps as that is what repairs the muscle fibres. This is where ripped comes from. Every time you weight train you rip your muscles a bit. They repair each time a little bit stronger and bigger....
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I like to take hot showers to help my muscles, or a steam room if you have one at your gym. I am new to weights so I have been having some intense muscle soreness myself so I know what you're going through! I just keep telling myself the soreness after exercising won't last forever, you can do it!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Once you're sore, you're sore. Not much more you can do but ride it out.

Try to keep loose. Do some dynamic stretches and hangs (or stretch your arms/chest in the doorway) and keep moving as much as reasonably possible.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen

Alcohol

Well then you won't care about the soreness :)
  • tjohnson29
    tjohnson29 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    cronnym wrote: »
    Has anyone got remedies for muscle soreness after a workout? I worked my arms and abs yesterday and my arms and chest area is soooo sore it hurts to just do things at work. Any solutions to reduce this? Dont wanna die at work tomorrow either

Epsom salt!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    learn to embrace the pain.

no honestly now, the pain is not a bad thing and it will get better with time. magnesium before bed is good, warm Epsom salts bath and what I like to do when I have a full on beast mode session is to rub tiger balm in after my shower to pre-empt the pain. and a bit of foam rolling/stretching at the end of the session too before the shower and all that.