Not reaching goals as fast as I hoped

Options
Hi all
I am Jacinta. I'm 33yr old. 5ft 6inch. Started my journey at 80kg (176lb)
I've been eating clean and exercising almost everyday for 4 weeks but don't feel like I am getting anywhere.

Any tips?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Change isn't fast. Forward progress is forward progress. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Keep doing what you need to do and you'll get there.
  • KalKitten
    KalKitten Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are you getting any results? If not, I suggest consulting a doctor. But change is very slow, especially as you age, keep up the good work, it'll be worth it!
  • Carriebear174
    Carriebear174 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I've been eating clean and exercising almost everyday for 4 weeks but don't feel like I am getting anywhere.

Any tips?

Be patient im about 3 weeks in and olny lost 3lbs on the 1400 calorie diet, my dietician said first you gain muscle then the weight comes off. Maybe thats the case for you as well. Good luck.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Are you getting anywhere? Have you weighed yourself? Taken measurements? How we "feel" about our progress often doesn't bear out. We can be the last people to notice the changes in ourselves.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Hi all

Any tips?

Be patient im about 3 weeks in and olny lost 3lbs on the 1400 calorie diet, my dietician said first you gain muscle then the weight comes off. Maybe thats the case for you as well. Good luck.

3lbs in 3 weeks is very respectable. And I'm sorry - your dietitian is a bit misguided, you don't gain muscle while in a deficit and not unless you're doing strength training.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You can eat clean until the cows come home, but unless you're in a calorie deficit you won't lose weight. You mention nothing about calorie intake... Do you have a calorie goal for weight loss and are you tracking accurately by weighing (solids) and measuring (liquids) everything you put inyour mouth?
  • JacintaVE2017
    JacintaVE2017 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat an average 1400 calories per day. Getting those calories from veggies, salads, meats, and a little bit of fruit.
    Have lost nearly 3kg (6lb) so far. But maybe I am building muscle at the same time ....
  • Alatariel75
    edited August 2017
    Options
    6lb in 4 weeks is perfectly good weight loss. What are you expecting? 2lbs a week is the maximum recommended for health, and that's generally only recommended if you're obese. You're only about 25lbs off healthy and realistically shouldn't be aiming for/expecting more than about 1 lb a week.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I eat an average 1400 calories per day. Getting those calories from veggies, salads, meats, and a little bit of fruit.
    Have lost nearly 3kg (6lb) so far. But maybe I am building muscle at the same time ....

Sadly for women especially, to gain even 2 pounds of muscle can take months, and only if you are actively trying to build muscle by doing progressively heavier weight bearing exercises , eating sufficient protein to support muscle growth and getting sufficient calories to foster growth (i.e. maintenance or higher in general).

no one "accidentally" gains muscle. It takes hard work and appropriate circumstances. If you are actively trying to lose weight, and losing 2 pounds a week, you are unlikely to have gained more than a fraction of a pound in actual muscle (assuming "newbie" gains).

You are doing fine though - 2 pounds a week is aggressive even, given that you do not have a massive amount to lose.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    You are right on track. It's better that it come off slowly because you have less flabby / hanging skin. It may take a few months to really notice, then the weight loss becomes annoying because nothing fits! It's almost like over night after about 8 weeks - Also, keep on 1400 calories for the long term if you can handle it... that way it's a lifestyle change not just a diet.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

How are you determining your intake? Are you weighing and measuring or eyeballing? Whilst you're getting results now, being accurate as you get closer to your goal may become necessary if your progress slows.

For weight loss, it doesn't really matter where your calories come from - you haven't really mentioned any fat sources though (unless you're eating fatty meat)... Getting sufficient protein (around 0.8g per lb) and fat (around 0.35g per lb) is a good goal just to maintain health and body functions...
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Six lbs. in four weeks is great! Just keep going and very soon you will look in the mirror and be glad you did. I think it takes at least ten pounds to see the difference.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Eating clean won't do much. What you need to know is how much you're eating. You have to measure precisely and record it so you can learn what a correct serving size is.