I am a cna and i am wondering

Options
weightloss_acc
weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
How to report a nurse who is disrespectful to me to my boss in a professional way

Replies

• HooperDrivesTheBoatChief
    Options
    yno83ttbmlfk.gif
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    My first thoughts are:

Think about what you are going to say.

Write it down maybe and try to come up with an unbiased sounding account of what the disrespectful person is saying/doing.

Possibly talk to co-workers and see if they have a problem with the same person, just for perspective.

When you tell your boss try to do it where no one else can hear your conversation.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    How to report a nurse who is disrespectful to me to my boss in a professional way

report?

why not have a civil conversation with the offending party?

granted, I have a low tolerance for hurt feelings.

feelings hurt? .... rub some dirt on 'em & buck the *kitten* up.

*shrug
  • weightloss_acc
    weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What if she tells on me to try to get me fired?
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Go to HR and ask what you should do. They will explain the correct reporting procedure. Don't report to HR before your boss, just ask what the recommendations are to handle the situation the best way possible. If you don't have an HR department, ask a former professor or someone else knowledgeable and experienced to whom you can explain the situation in detail (and who doesn't know the offending party). Seek advice and counsel from a good source.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Could you please explain to us what this coworker is doing, that is disrespectful to you?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm a registered nurse in Australia. There can be a bit of a hierarchy and 'eat your young' attitude in nursing.

My advice to a nurse here would be to speak to a union support person for best course of action but I'm not sure if your unions offer the same type of guidance.

If it's reasonable to speak directly with the person then do so.

If not, speak with the nursing team leader or nurse unit manager. Ask them to help resolve your issues.

Be objective. Give an example of the type of behaviour that you feel is inappropriate. Outline any efforts you have taken to avoid conflict or reconcile differences with this person. Do this via email if need be so there is a written record.

Read up on your company's code of conduct so you are aware if either of you is in breach of this.

You have a right to be treated respectfully in your workplace.

• Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

A union support person? This is the United States. Less than 1% of our jobs are unionized.

A HUGE percentage of nursing jobs in NY are union.

People will 100% respect you more if you calmly and rationally speak to the person you feel is being disrespectful before you go up the chain. Be calm. Tell him/her calmly that you felt that what they stated was inaccurate or in an inappropriate tone. Be specific. Saying that they disrespected you conveys too little information and will put them on the defensive. Ask if there was something you did to trigger that type of tone. If there was, correct the problem, but also convey that you respond better to a different technique/tone, etc, and how you can rectify it.

Going over his/her head will likely make the problem worse if you haven't addressed it with the person first.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Ask your boss if they're getting the same attitude and what they suggest if you're dead set on doing something. Honestly, I'd forget about it. I was a cna, if a nurse doesn't like you, you're gone. Unfortunately and don't be insulted by this, but there's a lot of cna's and you're easily replaceable. Do your job well and they shouldn't have a reason to fire you, and if they fire you anyways, *kitten* them. It's easy to find another cna job, I liked doing private in-home care better where I had just one or two clients at a time and no one breathing down my back.
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    If people are being disrespectful suck it up. Talk to them and ask why. If you feel you are actually being harrassed still talk to them abd if it doesn't stop bring it up the ladder. Be a big girl now.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

What do you mean by disrespectful?
    Like uncomfortabe comments about your body, sexual orientation, race/ethnicity or throwing your lunch away or telling you that you are too slow?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I learned this a long time ago, and all of my relationships personal or professional have improved as a result:

Nobody owes you *kitten*.

You love/respect yourself and everyone else will too. And if they don't, their problem is probably internal. Hurt people hurt people. Rise above it.

If that doesn't work, start stealing her lunch.

Or lick her lunch and put it back for her to eat later.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Please be more specific. Explain to us as if we were the Nurse In Charge, or the DSD. Then we can more specific with helping you. What makes you feel as though you are being disrespected?
    Thank you.
  • gmikesell
    gmikesell Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I used to be a nurse tech before I got to be a professional nerd. I've been yelled at publicly by doctors over broken centrifuges in the lab (like what happens in the lab was somehow my fault) and got transferred out of that job for my trouble because "they can't have personalities that rile doctors". Medical profession is way unfair as a general rule. You might want to consider a different profession if you're looking to be treated fairly. When ya find it, let me know! Lol
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    lizery wrote: »
    I'm a registered nurse in Australia. There can be a bit of a hierarchy and 'eat your young' attitude in nursing.

My advice to a nurse here would be to speak to a union support person for best course of action but I'm not sure if your unions offer the same type of guidance.

If it's reasonable to speak directly with the person then do so.

If not, speak with the nursing team leader or nurse unit manager. Ask them to help resolve your issues.

Be objective. Give an example of the type of behaviour that you feel is inappropriate. Outline any efforts you have taken to avoid conflict or reconcile differences with this person. Do this via email if need be so there is a written record.

Read up on your company's code of conduct so you are aware if either of you is in breach of this.

You have a right to be treated respectfully in your workplace.

A union support person? This is the United States. Less than 1% of our jobs are unionized.

I thought this was an Internet fitness app rather than the USA - however I clearly stated that this is the course of action I would suggest for a nurse here in Australia (where virtually all nurses are union members as our professional indemnity insurance is generally through the union).