Help determining TDEE

Options
I am modifying my weight loss workout to include more strength training, but since I am accustomed to a cardio imbalance I can't hazard a guess as to what to select for activity level with this new ratio of strength to cardio.

My new workout plan is:
-50 minutes of strength training followed by 15 minutes of light cardio three times a week
-45 minutes of cardio twice a week

Apart from this weekly exercise my life remains quite sedentary. I am 5'6 tall and weigh 156 pounds.

Scooby's calculator reports a BMR of 1481. The TDEE for lightly active is 2037, for moderately active 2296.

I would appreciate the input of individuals far more knowledgeable than myself.

Thank you.

Replies

• jimithegreek
    Options
    I get a BMR of 1529 for you...either way its close. I'd say moderate activity for you, which comes out to 2370 for your TDEE. So 20 percent from that would give you 1896 calories per day. If you do it this way, eat around this much per day and DO NOT eat back exercise calories, as they are already accounted for.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    That sounds very similar to my workout plan and I use the 3-5 hours moderate exercise option. Other than exercise, I'm sedentary as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use Scooby and workout one hour every day (typically a 300-330 calories workout, mostly 3.5mph walks or bodypump), and fitbit puts me in between light and moderate. If I have an extra walk or move more, I get closer to moderate. If I sit on my butt, I'm closer to light. I put myself between both but closer to light. In your case, if you're really sedentary the rest of the time, I'd go with light.

ETA: my BMR is 1491 so we're pretty close.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I use Scooby and workout one hour every day (typically a 300-330 calories workout, mostly 3.5mph walks or bodypump), and fitbit puts me in between light and moderate. If I have an extra walk or move more, I get closer to moderate. If I sit on my butt, I'm closer to light. I put myself between both but closer to light. In your case, if you're really sedentary the rest of the time, I'd go with light.

ETA: my BMR is 1491 so we're pretty close.

It depends more on the intensity of his or her efforts in their workouts. I don't think you can really compare strength training, especially if the OP is lifting heavy, to walking 3.5 mph. I generally don't even include walks like that in the equation, so you are probably correct in using the light category.