Whipped Cream-Sugar needed?

SuzySunshine99
SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
Hi All, so I'm going to attempt to make tres leches cake for the first time. It doesn't seem like too difficult of a recipe. My question is about making your own whipped cream for the topping. Every whipped cream recipe I see instructs you to add sugar to the cream as you whip it.

I'm thinking that this cake is already going to be very sweet and was considering just adding vanilla extract and maybe cinnamon to the whipped cream but no additional sugar.

Does anyone know if this would turn out okay or be terrible? I'm definitely not anti-sugar, but also don't like my desserts super sweet. Thanks!

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    I don't know, though, I don't add sugar to cream and it whips up fine.
  • Luvz2cook4u
    Luvz2cook4u Posts: 4 Member
    I use 1-2 tbs powdered sugar, 1tsp vanilla and 1 cup heavy whipping cream, in a special gadget to make whipped cream, but you can adjust the sugar. The sugar is not only for sweetness but it binds it.

Tres Leche topping is amazing! The sweetness compliments the dense cake.
  • katherinemcaninch
    katherinemcaninch Posts: 2 Member
    I make fresh whip cream without sugar and it is great. I add vanilla extract sometimes. The trick is to put your beaters for your electric mixer in the freezer for a bit and it helps whip the cream faster.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I use 1-2 tbs powdered sugar, 1tsp vanilla and 1 cup heavy whipping cream, in a special gadget to make whipped cream, but you can adjust the sugar. The sugar is not only for sweetness but it binds it.

Tres Leche topping is amazing! The sweetness compliments the dense cake.

Powdered sugar has cornstarch in it to keep it from clumping. It would be easy to forego the sugar and just use the cornstarch to bind the cream.