Water Weight

Options
I'm trying to lose a few pounds that i've gain this summer from a few vacations i went on. I am pretty sedentary, so i thought for now I would just try to eat healthier, and drink more fluids. I used to only drink 1-2 cups of water a day, so my goal is have about 6 cups a day. Yesterday morning I weighed 101.6lbs, and by the end of the day i was 104lbs. This morning i was 102.6lbs which means I didn't lose all of the water weight. My waist is also 3 inches bigger as well. I was wondering if I will lose this water weight over time?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Water weight isn't something you lose and then it's gone. Water weight varies up and down over time in response to various things.

Many drop some water weight when they start eating at a deficit but that returns after they stop eating at a deficit.

Weight varies up and down so don't compare one day to the last or next. You need to look at your trend over time.

I don't know how tall you are, but you don't have much excess fat so weight loss will be very slow if you lose. If you are underweight, you shouldn't lose and should keep your weight and work to get up to a healthy weight.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Don't concern yourself with the changes in weight across the course of just 1 or 2 days. It's virtually meaningless. One day of drinking 6 cups of water won't do dramatic things to your weight. Water weight resolves itself over time and other than watching your sodium and staying hydrated there isn't much you can do about it. Also, how are you certain the weight you've gained on vacation and throughout the summer is water and not fat? Drinking more water won't do anything to lose added fat. Also, how tall are you?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • chanchanxo
    chanchanxo Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    i'm just about 5'1! i'm small, but not petite, I have more of a curvy built and I have no muscle tone as well. Well before vacation i weight 98lbs and my waist was 25 inches and for the last few weeks of i've been eating regularly again but haven't lost the weight.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    i'm just about 5'1! i'm small, but not petite, I have more of a curvy built and I have no muscle tone as well. Well before vacation i weight 98lbs and my waist was 25 inches and for the last few weeks of i've been eating regularly again but haven't lost the weight.
    Were you maintaining weight before? If you gained weight on vacation then returned to eating maintenance calories why would you expect to lose weight?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

So you're wanting to go from a very low weight, back to underweight? Why?