Do you tell everyone when you are on a diet?

Options

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I rarely mention it (though now people ask since the change is very noticeable.) so when i would go out, i would pick something on the healthier side or if it was a "share apps" kind of thing I would only take a little of what was ordered. My main focus was to eat less - never a full restaurant portion.. or if I did, then I'd eat less later that day and the next day.

and I am with the other posters who just don't want to hear all the BS about what works best. Yeah, I got that part covered for me. lol :)

• eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Good god, no -- for all the reasons listed above, and more.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm picky about who I tell. I think I know who will support me and who will sabatage my efforts. I didn't tell anyone at work, I just got really good at saying "no, thank you" when the treats came in.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    JamesMD84 wrote: »
    Had a hard day today which involved a work lunch as I haven't really told anyone I'm on a diet. I didn't want to tell them so just ate a normal lunch and going to try and have a really good dinner.

I'm a big guy (300lbs) so they all probably think I should be on a diet anyway but for some reason I can't tell them.

So back to my question, do you tell everyone or just try and do the best you can in social situations?

I'm in maintenance now, but when I was losing weight I didn't tell people mainly for one reason -- I knew I would get all kinds of "advice" I didn't need or want, or comments saying I didn't need to lose any more weight (yes, I did, I was obese).

The only social issue: I did cut some food out for medical reasons. In those situations, I would say "I'm good" if someone was pushing food on me. That, or "I have a health problem" and leave it at that and change the subject.

You mentioned normal. My diet changes were lifestyle changes and had to become the new normal for me.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting about 3 weeks now and I'm just telling my coworkers, "I'm trying to be good today!" when they comment on my healthy lunches. If they ask, I'll tell them, but I'm not going into any amount of detail.

I share everything with my husband, but he's the only one besides my MFP friends who know how hard I've been working. :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I didn't really tell anyone to start with, but as the weight loss became apparent if people have asked I have told them, I don't post on my normal social media about it, I have a separate instagram account for food, fitness and inspiration and I use MFP and my blog website as my outlet for everything weight loss and fitness related. I shared my blog to facebook after my first 6 months, when I hit my first major milestone. I plan around my social activities so I don't have to work my life around my weight loss, if I am going out on a weekend, I will eat a light brunch and do an extra workout to make room for a few drinks and a meal or I will bank a few calories during the week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Had a hard day today which involved a work lunch as I haven't really told anyone I'm on a diet. I didn't want to tell them so just ate a normal lunch and going to try and have a really good dinner.

I'm a big guy (300lbs) so they all probably think I should be on a diet anyway but for some reason I can't tell them.

So back to my question, do you tell everyone or just try and do the best you can in social situations?

Mind you, this was years ago now, but when I was dieting and social situations like this came up, I did tell them but I qualified that it was for medical reasons (which was true) and that if I didn't get certain things under control I was going to have to be put on various prescriptions and I didn't want that. That stopped the whole c'mon...just have a piece of the cake kind of stuff...

I still attended special work things and people noticed that I was eating differently, and they noticed I had lost some weight so there really wasn't any point in denying it when asked, though I didn't go around announcing it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I'll tell people I'm eating healthier if they ask, but I'm not sure it's really noticeable most of the time, since I haven't really changed how I eat that much, and I'm losing pretty gradually. I would never say the D word, though. The last unsolicited weight loss tip I got from a coworker was to watch the sugary drinks (while pointing at the unsweetened ice tea that's basically all I drink at work besides water). Thanks...
  • ILivSD
    ILivSD Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi James, I do agree with both sides of this topic. Alas there's a lot of extreme zealots on both sides of every subject and I have encountered both. Its funny how there are Politics in Dieting....but what few will tell you is that everyone is different and what works Great for you may not for others. The biggest secret so to speak is how to keep the weight off just look at all the contestants on The Biggest Looser and how many have rebounded. You goal is to find what works for you to maintain a healthy life style that you can stick with. Be it Vegetarian, Atkins or the bubble Gum diet what have you....I have relapsed various times and each time kicking my self saying "you did this to your self, you can get back to being healthy and happy though not mutually exclusive. I think a middle of the road approach is best and true "Your just trying to eat healthier to be healthier" most people will understand and go with it. I have been 300lbs before and know where your coming from.
    Its a slow road but you will get there....find an Diet and Exercise you enjoy and stick with it....!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Why tell anyone? Order what you want in a restaurant, fill your plate with what you feel fits in your calories at a party, drink what fits in with your calories or order a water. Most people do not pay attention to what you are ordering, eating, or drinking unless you call attention to it.
  • Jordan1906
    Jordan1906 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No, cause then I get accused of having an eating disorder :/
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    No, it's got nothing to do with anyone else. I do, however, often get asked 'why are you eating that?' Or get comments 'you're always eating' but the default answer is 'because I want to'
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    No. Keep it to myself and if someone offers food, just say "I'm not hungry thanks".

I do budget in advance for potlucks and similar events so I can sample several foods. I just keep the portions controlled.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Mercy, no. What I eat is nobody's business but my own.

And that goes for me, too, by the way. There have been times I've had to excuse myself from a group that was seriously discussing the relative merits of detoxes, flushes and magic shakes/bars. Until and unless I'm asked, I'll keep my opinions to myself -- but it's awfully hard sometimes.
  • SusanKKO
    SusanKKO Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to discuss it with anyone, other than my husband and very close family and friends, because I've had many instances of regaining weight.
  • Cynt214
    Cynt214 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I only discuss my weight loss efforts with like-minded people. There isn't anything wrong with eating out. The key is to plan ahead. Look at the menu ahead of time and make selections that fit your calorie goal.
  • fiercefit76
    fiercefit76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to, but I learned that people can do some pity ish once they see you doing good and taking control. Especially at work. I made the mistake in telling some of my co-workers that I was trying to cut down on sugar because of a prediabetes diagnosis. I thought these people would support me and encourage me. I was doing so well, lost a good chunk of weight. So did I get support? No...they decided to make it a all you can eat donut, cookie candy buffet everyday and decided to make the table behind my desk where they put everything. It was hard to stick to my goals and I caved in soooo many times. I found I have to be really selective who I tell. Plus I like to be mysterious, they see my body changing and they'll all
    be dying to know my secret...but I'll never
    tell, hehehehe.
  • AccountableAmber
    AccountableAmber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've mentioned it to everyone I know. I share pics with my mom. My friends usually ask how I'm doing, and if I have a cheat day, they don't say anything. They're all very supportive. There's only one person who's a downer, and that's only because every time I eat something, she never fails to ask "aren't you on a diet?". Like yes, I've allotted these 200+ calories for this candy bar. I don't really see telling people as a big deal. I've tried it both ways: keeping it a secret and being open. Neither matter, because it's about how you view your diet.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go out of your way to mention anything but if it happens to come up I'd stick to phrasing like "I'm trying to make some changes" or "get healthier" rather than use the term "diet". As mentioned, a number of people have opinions on diets and nutrition.

I definitely sympathize; work and social situations where control over my nutrition choices is taken away frustrates me to no end. Try not to let one meal derail your whole journey. You're on the right track thinking about a "make-up" extra-healthy dinner. Do the best you can to never miss two in a row. If you're on your game 80% of the time you should still be able to make progress