Raw veggies and Fruit

Iheartrunning36
Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I would like to eat only raw veggies and fruit for one month. I'm losing weight naturally and the healthy way without doing this but now I would like to try to do a natural cleanse to help me over come chronic fatigue, not really for weight loss but to just feel better over all. I didn't want to take supplements and fasting isn't my thing....thought? Advise? Good/bad idea...and why or why not? Maybe one month out of the year a raw food diet like this might be beneficial?? Fruits and veggies offer both protein and fat by the way.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I would like to eat only raw veggies and fruit for one month. I'm losing weight naturally and the healthy way without doing this but now I would like to try to do a natural cleanse to help me over come chronic fatigue, not really for weight loss but to just feel better over all. I didn't want to take supplements and fasting isn't my thing....thought? Advise? Good/bad idea...and why or why not? Maybe one month out of the year a raw food diet like this might be beneficial??

What makes you think that cutting out fat and protein from your diet will help with chronic fatigue?
  • JTlivez
    JTlivez Posts: 72 Member
    What you're asking about is already done by millions of people. I've never gone raw and I wouldn't advise it. Some of the most beneficial foods are able to be absorbed through heat. It's up to you though, good luck! If you need any motivation or anything of that sort just add me :smile:
  • Iheartrunning36
    I would like to eat only raw veggies and fruit for one month. I'm losing weight naturally and the healthy way without doing this but now I would like to try to do a natural cleanse to help me over come chronic fatigue, not really for weight loss but to just feel better over all. I didn't want to take supplements and fasting isn't my thing....thought? Advise? Good/bad idea...and why or why not? Maybe one month out of the year a raw food diet like this might be beneficial??

What makes you think that cutting out fat and protein from your diet will help with chronic fatigue?

Because it's not doing anything after 15 years to make it better this far, secondly you can get protein and fat from fruits and veggies...bananas and avocados have fat...(example) and it's healthier.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited August 2017

Because it's not doing anything after 15 years to make it better this far, secondly you can get protein and fat from fruits and veggies...bananas and avocados have fat...(example) and it's healthier.

I don't think you're going to get many people to play along here and tell you what you want to hear...perhaps you should just do it as it seems you've already decided that it's "healthier"...even though it's really not...

https://www.livescience.com/26278-risks-raw-vegan-diet.html
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Your body cleanses itself all day, every day, so a month-long "cleanse" isn't necessary. What about going vegan for a few weeks first? Yes you can get some protein from raw fruits and veggies, but my vegetarian friends say it's extremely difficult to get complete proteins. Most of them achieve that through combining certain fruits and veggies with different types of beans, for example, or quinoa to supplement. Going vegan versus completely raw might give you most of the same benefits, without as high a risk of malnutrition on the protein & healthy fat fronts.

This is an article from an actual reputable source - most on the subject appear to have an outright agenda.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/is-raw-food-better-for-you/2015/03/02/d8c178ee-bc3d-11e4-8668-4e7ba8439ca6_story.html?utm_term=.ec5ef885e404

It is your choice as an adult. If you are going to do it, I'd keep a close eye on any changes to your body or mental processes that might occur during the raw period, so you can make adjustments quickly.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    I am wondering if you will be able to sustain this in terms of not having blood sugar crashes; also there may be cramping and gastritis unless you eat a lot of bananas...
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    I see you're not doing this and intending to lose weight at the same - good choice. I think it would make weight loss incredibly complicated.

Here is a local woman who's been doing a raw diet for about 12 years. If you are interested in her techniques she has a ton of videos about what and how much she eats.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FullyRawKristina
  • Ready2Getcut
    Ready2Getcut Posts: 68 Member
    I would like to eat only raw veggies and fruit for one month. I'm losing weight naturally and the healthy way without doing this but now I would like to try to do a natural cleanse to help me over come chronic fatigue, not really for weight loss but to just feel better over all. I didn't want to take supplements and fasting isn't my thing....thought? Advise? Good/bad idea...and why or why not? Maybe one month out of the year a raw food diet like this might be beneficial?? Fruits and veggies offer both protein and fat by the way.

I really like this board but it's better to seek out information elsewhere for anything non-traditional. People who contribute here are very helpful- but also very pragmatically minded about controlling Body Mass (and that's where it stops).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

While fruits and vegetables do have some protein, even assuming you got the minimum you require from them, it's going to be challenging for you to meet specific needs for some essential amino acids on a totally raw diet that is limited to fruits and vegetables. Lysine is one that comes to mind right away, although there are probably others.

An average banana has about half a gram of fat, so it's not a great source.

It sounds like you're set on doing this regardless of what people are sharing with you, so I suggest you make sure you research which fruits and vegetables actually contain which macronutrients.
  • cwolfman13
    edited August 2017

I really like this board but it's better to seek out information elsewhere for anything non-traditional. People who contribute here are very helpful- but also very pragmatically minded about controlling Body Mass (and that's where it stops).

Really? Because I'm pretty much a fitness and nutrition junky...
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member

I agree with people who asked about protein and fat. You can get fat from avocados, seeds and nuts. Where are you going to get the mainstay of your protein -- from beans? You have to cook a lot of beans that provide good protein in order to make them edible (like lentils, red beans, chickpeas, etc.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

You probably won't get adequate protein by eating only raw vegetables and fruit. Avocados should be able to provide adequate fat but without beans how will you get enough protein?
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    If you do this, take note that while there are multiple meats that are HBV (High Biological Value, which means it contains all the essential amino acids that humans need) there is only one plant that is HBV, which is soy. It makes it much harder to get the amino acids you need daily.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Why do you think this will solve chronic fatigue? Have you gone to the doctor to check thyroid, glucose, iron and all the other things that would cause chronic fatigue.
  • Iheartrunning36
    Treece68 wrote: »
    Why do you think this will solve chronic fatigue? Have you gone to the doctor to check thyroid, glucose, iron and all the other things that would cause chronic fatigue.

Yes, I've gone to doctors and all blood work comes back normal. Diet and exercise certainly always helps, but it never quite goes away so I thought I would try something new. Based on everyone's opinion it doesn't sound like a good idea. I would never have asked a question if I wasn't willing to listen to everyone.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Are you getting enough sleep? I know it sounds like a simple solution but how much sleep are you really getting
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Have you tried a sleep study you could have sleep apnea
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Treece68 wrote: »

Yes, I've gone to doctors and all blood work comes back normal. Diet and exercise certainly always helps, but it never quite goes away so I thought I would try something new. Based on everyone's opinion it doesn't sound like a good idea. I would never have asked a question if I wasn't willing to listen to everyone.

Have you had your vitamin D level checked? It's a very common deficiency and lethargy/fatigue are common side affects of being deficient. It's not on the standard blood work panel though, so you have to ask for them to run it. It's an easy fix if it is the case!
  • cwolfman13
    edited August 2017
    If I were going to do this, I'd do both cooked and raw...it is a misconception that raw only is the way to go...cooking actually makes nutrients more bio-available in many cases; for example, cooking tomatoes increases the bio-availability of lycopene (a powerful antioxidant by about 10 fold. Soups for example contain all kinds of nutrients for your body that wouldn't be found in the same pot of raw veggies.

Also, things like beans and lentils tend to be staples of a vegetarian or vegan diet because they are a decent source of protein...they also are one of the better sources of soluble fiber. Protein would be the hardest nutrient to get with a diet of only raw veg and fruit...and some sources of protein/fat like almonds are actually cooked before they're sold because they are poisonous otherwise...

I'd also think that eating only raw veg and fruit, it would be pretty hard to hit calorie targets, particularly if you were trying to maintain weight...that's a lot of volume to hit your calories.