Info on flexible dieting

2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    OP, maybe you just need a diet break? and then start back with a smaller deficit?
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    noirelb wrote: »
    I think a lot of people on MFP are doing flexible dieting. It's more a lower calorie lifestyle than dieting which is traditionaly a specific type of food ( clean, raw, vegan, paleo...).

it's not necessarily a lower calorie lifestyle. my low days are 1600 my normal days are 2000. it is different for everyone based on a whole bunch of variables from height and weight to activity levels to how our body responds to different macros etc etc - that part of it is individual and not cookie cutter at all.

as for eating less calories than "diets" no. a "diet" is when you eat less calories than you expend period. you can still get fat eating "clean" or "paleo" or whatever. thing is tho those other "diets" usually tell you how much to eat per meal hence making it still be a deficit.
    I read it like that at first too, but then I figured out that noirelb probably meant "just eat less" as opposed to a prescribed diet. Most prescribed diets are lower calorie "by default", by making you feel too full to eat enough to maintain weight, or tasteless so you don't even want to eat, or just so difficult that you can't get enough to eat.

In my mind, "dieting" is just "willfully and consciously eating less calories with the purpose of losing weight", while "a diet" is both "what you eat" AND "a prescription of food choices, meal timing etc to lose weight and/or manage a health problem", and "going on a diet" is "following a set of principles set by someone else, with the purpose of losing weight".

Yes that's what i meant! Basically eat normally but less to be in a deficit rather than those prescribed diets that make you binge or fall off the wagon. Than i most definitely never heard of flexible dieting and am so confused as to how not being in a calorie deficit can work by simply watching macros. If it's that difficult...I'm not sure OP should go that way. Maybe a week or 2 at maintenance and then deficit but eating all types of food.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Iv got nothing to add except if you want good advice defo speak to @Cahgetsfit
    she is awsome and looks hot in a bikini :D so is defo doing something right lol