Options
retro_gamer
retro_gamer Posts: 127 Member
Your thoughts.

Replies

• roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    There needs to be more awareness, seminars, classes, programs, just general information in schools. Actually throughout the public as a whole.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Cite, please.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm sure that being a teenager and growing up with social media is probably very challenging.
  • JamesMD84
    JamesMD84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Things have changed massively even since I was a teenager and I'm only 32, peer pressure used to be a local thing but with technology and social media it's relentless.

Even though many of these kids dress and act a lot older than their years they are still only kids. It's the cyber bullying that terrifies me and my son is only a toddler, there is no safe place anymore kids can be bullied in their own homes.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    fjmartini wrote: »
    Hopelessness in that age group seems to be the issue.

How could they feel hopeless if they've hit the life lotto and we're born in a first world country? I'm not talking about abused children having trouble coping with their abuse.

My guess, and I think it's mentioned up thread, is that it stems from feeling alienated and a lack of social connection. Also I think, possibly, a disruption in bonding or weak bonding. A disproportionate percentage of that age group were raised in daycare or in the care of a nanny or babysitter 10 to 12 hours a day. My views on the subject are socially conservative - and this is a very left crowd - so the discussion could easily go up in flames and I'm already sitting on a warning. I think I'll lurk from here.

It's a shame you can't express your ideas without fear of offending someone that doesn't agree with them. I think you and I have similar thoughts.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Why don't children who are diagnosed with cancer or other life threatening diseases, and have to endure pain and suffering just kill themselves when their chance of survival is bleak? Oh I know, cause they don't have time to waste worrying, ya know, since their on deaths door and their life is about to end before it begins.

Some do. Some choose to not undergo treatment. Some commit suicide. Some aren't clinically depressed
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    How come people in under developed countries don't seem to have this issue? Oh, I know, because they're more concerned about finding their next meal and living to see the next day. When life is literally day-to-day suicide doesn't seem to be an issue.

Funny how the areas of my country (Canada) that have extreme poverty and are the most socially isolated have very high suicide rates (first nation reserves)
  • fjmartini
    Options
    So why do young people commit suicide?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Lots of different reasons. It's a very complex issue.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Hopelessness in that age group seems to be the issue.

How could they feel hopeless if they've hit the life lotto and we're born in a first world country? I'm not talking about abused children having trouble coping with their abuse.

Just because you have physical things and money doesn't mean you are immune to depression.
  • fjmartini
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Lots of different reasons. It's a very complex issue.

I get that. But why would they be rising the past 40 years? I understand mental illness is serious and suicide is a serious issue.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Maybe because of more social isolation since people seem to interact more with their devices than each other. Also maybe more bullying? Back in the day they only bullied you at school and in the neighbourhood but now with so many devices bullying happens 24/7 in your own home without a break.
  • fjmartini
    Options
    Maybe because of more social isolation since people seem to interact more with their devices than each other. Also maybe more bullying? Back in the day they only bullied you at school and in the neighbourhood but now with so many devices bullying happens 24/7 in your own home without a break.

I think you're right.
  • singingflutelady
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Also has addiction rates risen? There is a connection between drug abuse and suicide as well